The Six "Be's"- Gordon B. Hinckley

Sunday, June 1, 2008

Potty Training...

Well, I have decided to take the plunge and potty train Tye. He has shown interest for months, and he has gone several times, but I have not really wanted to put the time or effort into it. So, I need any and all advice that you can give me to help little boys to potty train! I will continue to let all of you know how it is going!

5 comments:

Amy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amy said...

Well, I don't have any advice on potty training boys specifically. But I do have some advice for potty training in general. The main thing I have learned is that you have to be patient. If you put too much pressure on the child, they will not comply. It has to be their idea or it won't work. If Tye seems ready now and then changes his mind, just try again in a few months. A reward system works great too. Whether it's candy or stickers or whatever Tye is interested in. Also, just know that it takes time and that it may seem like a forever long process. It seemed like our world revolved around potty training for a while each time, but it was so worth the effort. All kids are different, of course, but I found that pull-ups didn't work for my girls at all. They just acted like it was a new kind of diaper. They are great for when you're going to be out and about and not close to a potty, but that's about all that they helped me with. Letting Tye pick out his own underwear will probably help too. We made a really big deal out of getting "big girl panties" for Natalie and Lily and it seemed to help. Maybe there's some underwear with Cars on it something. I know the other moms who have boys will be able to help you a lot more than me, but that's just my two cents. Good luck!!! See y'all soon!

June 1, 2008 12:38 PM

Mary said...

Well, I don't have boys either but I think a reward system works for all kids. It worked for Avery, I got a small container of toys for the dollar store and placed them in the bathroom. Avery could play with them when she was on the potty and only while on the potty. When she actually went pee or poop(that ones takes more time to tackle) she got to pick one toy to keep. Once we ran out of toys I also did the m&m reward for a while. One m&m per pee and two per poop.
We used pull ups at night and while out of the house for a while but like Amy said Avery realized they were no that different from diapers, I will say that they do not hold as much pee as diapers so be careful because they will leak faster than diapers.
At home I put underwear on Avery and took her to sit on the potty every hour. She still had accidents but I just cleaned them up and had her help. I know some mom's don't like dealing with it but it's one of the only ways to get them out of diapers at home, I think.
Good Luck, Potty training is going to try your patience. It's hard work. But stick with it, Tye will get it. And if one thing doesn't work try something new till you find something Tye responds to better.
By the way, I've been think about you, Alisa. I have been meaning to call...miss you and love you.

Holli said...

Well, Gabi's a girl but we just recently went through this so it's still fresh on my mind. Here's my suggestions:

1. Don't expect perfection. That puts too much pressure on the kids and makes the process much more stressful. Instead, buy lots of Resolve carpet cleaner.

2. Let them pick out their own underwear. Gabi would have accidents more often with the generic underwear than with the ones featuring her favorite characters. She felt empowered picking out her own panties.

3. If you have a pediatrician, let them talk to him about it beforehand. Something about an authority figure, like a doctor, does something for kids. And, also, I could blame the doctor when she whined that she wanted her diapers back.

4. Pack a bag for the car. Put into it several rags, spare underwear and shorts, plastic bags, and wipes. Gabi had more accidents in the car between running errands than she did at home.

5. Make the bathroom a fun place to be. Buy some kid's magazines (barnes and nobles has tons!) or books that are only for the bathroom. Get creative. Gabi and I made up potty songs that we sang while she went. She loved it! Whatever you do, make the potty a priveldge, not a chore.

6. Lastly, at Walmart you can buy portable toilet seats that fold up with all different characters on them. This has been a big blessing because public toilets are so intimidating.

Good luck! I know he can do it. I learned that with potty training, it's less about the ability of the kid and more about the will of the parent. Tye will do great.

Amy said...

I'd forgotten about those fold up potty seats! They are wonderful, especially for a public toilet. Alisa, I think that maybe Mom has our fold up seat somewhere at her house. Maybe under the sink in the hall bathroom. Just ask her.