Following Mary's update, I thought I would share this. I mentioned a while back that I thought Kenadie had a yeast infection. I took all of your suggestions, and added a couple on the internet (yogurt spread in the area was one) and it started to clear up. I went ahead and called my pediatrician to get a script to help speed up the process. I went to CVS to pick it up, and it was well over $200. I had to make a decision. I hope none of you are ever in this situation by the way. I knew the infection was beginning to clear up, but at the same time, I did not know how uncomfortable it was for her. But, $200 is a lot of money, so I had to say no, and I would continue what I was doing and just watch it. It was one of the hardest decisions I have had to make. It did clear up within a few days, and about a week later, I saw a commercial for the cream that she was prescribed and it said there was a way to pay no more than $10 for it. Sure enough, I went by my pediatrician's office, and they gave me a reusable card that makes it to where the medicine is only $10. I went straight to CVS and picked it up. The medicine is called Vusion, so if any of you ever need it, get a voucher from your doctor first!!!!
The Six "Be's"- Gordon B. Hinckley
Monday, June 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Hey, I don't know what your insurance covers, etc. when it comes to perscriptions. We don't currently have medical insurance so I've had to learn to shop around and play the perscription game. I can't relate to the sticker shock you experienced at CVS.
Just as a suggestion, several places charge tons more money than others. I've noticed that CVS and Walgreens are always expensive. The more affordable pharmacies are Walmart and Target. And, the absolute cheapiest (and friendliest) is this teeny little hole in the wall pharmacy on Phelan (behind Taco Bell) called Malley's pharmacy. They always have the lowest price. (unless its on Walmart or Target's $4 generic list.)
For any of your moms there without insurance, don't be afraid to call pharmacies ahead of time to look for the best price.
I meant to say that I CAN relate to your sticker shock at CVS... sorry. :)
I had the same experience at Target when I went to go get Adyson's Elidel which was going to cost $85! I thought that was expensive. But the pharmacist called my doctor and was able to some how work some magic and get the prescription for $50, which in my opinion is still a lot when you have insurance. So, I learned that doctors can offset the cost of your prescriptions if they are too much for you to afford.
Yeah, we have insurance, but the prescription deductible is $250/ person (so that one would have done it, but that is a lot at one time). I think everyone should charge the same. If the company will go down to $10 for this cream, just sell it at that. And these $4 generics at Wal-Mart etc, you know everyone is still making a profit, so WHY in the world do they have to charge so much everywhere else??? It is stupid.
WOW! Thank you SO much for sharing this info Alisa! It's a good thing you waited. I know it's hard at the time to make decision like that too. It's so stupid that they charge people so much for something that doesn't even cost that much to make. I'm so glad that Kenadie is doing better!
A lot of times my pharmacist will run the script through with and without our insurance, because a lot of times it is more expensive with our insurance than without it. I don't understand this insurance stuff, but I am glad that there are people out there willing to help out and do the "right" thing!
I'm glad that Kenadie is feeling better! I agree that it's ridiculous for these companies to charge so much for medications! It's sad when a parent has to make a choice about whether they can afford to pay for a medicine for their child. That's wonderful that they have that card so you can get the medicine at a much lower price.
Post a Comment