The Six "Be's"- Gordon B. Hinckley

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Extra Income...

I have been really missing work lately. For those of you that don't know, when we moved back to Beaumont, I gave up a job that I had worked really hard for and really loved...Store Manager for Yankee Candle. I think that working inside the home is so much harder, and sometimes I think it would be nice to have a "break" and work outside the home. I think if I actually did this, it would actually make things a little more complicated, and so I was wondering if any of you do anything from home to earn a little extra money. There are so many scams on the internet, so it is hard to find legitimate work at home jobs. Let me know if any of you have found anything! I think it would be nice to give me something else to focus on sometimes, and in this hard economic time, a little extra cash never hurts!

10 comments:

Klevrkris said...

The quickest way to earn a little extra is to take on the child care of a couple of kids. There are laws that govern how many you can have before you have to register as a day care facility. There are also rules about how much you can earn before you have to pay taxes. With this job comes control of your hours and the added bonus of working from home. Shop around at local child care places to set your prices competitively. Be choosy who you accept(make sure the schedule works for you and you can easily communicate with the parents). If you have a particular talent, this can be shared for cash. For example, teach piano or another instrument or tutor kids in math or reading. Fees collected for such venture are higher than babysitting. Other from home jobs are going to take a bit more time and networking to find. These would be the medical transcription, typist type jobs. Ask around and put feelers out for what is needed in your area. There's always the paper route option if you don't mind the responsibility and the hours. Some reputable sales are out there if you are a people-person. Prominant ones that come to mind are: Usborne books, Tupperware, Avon, Pampered Chef, Stamping Up. These come with commitments of time and an initial investment. If you go that route, pick one whose product you like and would easily lend your recomendation to friends over. You'll end up with a lot of the product in your home and it helps if you like the stuff. Also, pick one that isn't over represented in your community. If you could become THE source for a beloved product in your area, you could be quite successful. Avoid the quick fix jobs that sound too good to be true. The time spent usually doesn't equal the cash paid and often is a scam. There are other ways to squeeze out a bit of extra cash from your budget. Live very frugally and choose carefully where to put your money. Include in your plan some WAM (walk around money). WAM is yours to do with as you see fit with no guilt and accountability. Other ways to satisfy the corprate genious inside while at home include: get really good at being the CEO of your household, work on your talents by attending a workshop, set up fun groups with your friends (my favorite was a craft club where each month someone in the group would teach some craft or other, i.e. cake decorating, scrapbooking, etc.), throw yourself into service to others around you, take time to read a book. The list goes on forever.
I struggled for a time after I left a job I loved. I still dream about it 10 years later! Ultimately, I had to learn to love being the master of my time and myself. Four and a half kids later, my life is quite full taking care of the details of running our home. I am proud to be the domestic queen of my castle. I don't think I could go back to having a boss telling me what to do and when to do it. The money I've lost by not working is really a gain in experiences that a career couldn't provide. This struggle is age-old. We all are faced with it at various times in life. I wish you luck in your search for the right answer and fit for your family. Ultimately, only you will know what that is. Whatever the potential pay, consider the cost that comes with that responsibility.

natalie said...

I worked for At Home America (athome.com) for about a year. Love the product and was a great company to work for. Their customer service was the best! Direct sales just aren't my thing, and it turned out to be more work than I was willing to put forth. But if you are the right type, they are a good company to work for and the start up cost is minimal and you get tons of product.

Mary said...

Hey Alisa, I actually really like At Home America, I shop there online. But like Natalie said you need to be a 'sales' person and really be committed to make it worth it. I like a lot of the products these 'party' style businesses offer but I see so many family and friends get involved and not go anywhere with it...but none of them really put forth the effort just like Natalie said.

And as for the child care option..I think you know what my experiences where when I did that for a few years. Bad. I do believe my experience was unique but I also feel like unless you are a type of person who absolutely LOVES children and ALL children(like your mother in law) it is not the best solution. It's hard work and pay is not the best.

I really thought precious wrists was a great idea. Is it not working out well? I really think that if you love making them and specifically schedule time for that, "work", it could be a great thing. Just an example...set aside once a week for four-six hours, no kids, and work on your bracelet business. Weather that be making them, setting up a site, ect... Try selling them on ebay or esty. Or even make a ton and sign up for a festival or craft show. I bet you could get business started just through those kind of selling sites and eventually straight through your personal site once your names out there.

I have been thinking a lot about this too, you have great timing, Alisa. Maybe you guys could help me out too. I have been pondering whether or not I should start a at-home hair business. But I have a hard time deciding because I sometimes fell like my place is with my children. Especially at this time in my life. But I do enjoy being a hairstylist. I feel like I have no idea how to work it out but really have the desire to do it...my husband works A LOT so what do I do with my kids while I am working? The other big con is the money to get started. Though I don't HAVE to buy a chair or sink I feel like it is the only way me or my clients would feel comfortable. But we are talking about $500 here and I just can't justify that when the whole idea could belly flop.

Mary said...

By the way, Alisa...I will help you with any business you want to do, with whatever you need done. (that is as long as I have the skill to help)

Alisa said...

I think you should do the hair thing! If we move back, I will be a client! I always think about asking you to do my hair, and although it would give you a little extra cash, I never want you to feel obligated if you don't want to.

The bracelets really could work, I am just so unorganized with it. I spent over $200 on beads (all Swarovski) and they are everywhere. I did have someone order 2 from Craigslist, but it was in February and both of our kids were sick almost all month, and although I made her bracelets, and still have them, we haven't gotten together...and that is an easy $50. I really need to become the CEO of my house, and get organized, and maybe then I can think about doing that again! We are supposed to be coming up 4th of July weekend, so hope we can get together!!!

Twilighting In Forks said...

Don't forget, you are the CEO of your house! LOL.
Shoot, we should have talked more about this. I've been trying to do something too. I babysat for a little bit for some friends in our ward, until her hubby became the Bishop.
I've been doing other work, not income work, but it's keeping me busy. I've been helping moderate the Twilight Moms website.
I've sold a few crafty things I've made to some fellow Twilight Moms recently on there too. Now I'm trying to get into a grove on making and selling things. I'm looking at doing some stuff on Etsy.com. You should put your bracalets on there! I'm sure they'd sell well on there.
You've got a lot of drive and know what it takes to run a business Alisa. No matter what you do, you'll do great at it.
Sorry, I just realized I was signed in under a my Twilight stuff... this is Katie

Twilighting In Forks said...

I forgot to add, you'd be surprised at how much you can make in selling things off Craigslist too. I made some good extra money a few months back when I went through and sold a ton of stuff-furniture, toys and so forth. I don't know how well CL does down there though.
It's surprising at what you things you find to get rid of once you get into that mode of "getting rid of and making $$" mode.

Holli said...

Alisa, I work from home as a writer. Of course, it's not a job that just anyone can do, you have to "some" experience in writing. But, there are websites out there that contract freelance writers.

My job came because I was depressed and suffering from anxiety. Gabi was a surprise and suddenly I felt like I was living a life not of my choosing. The writing has been good for me because it's given me an identity other than "mom." I still love being a mommy and everyday's a struggle to balance my responsibilities at home and at work but, for me, it's been a great thing. I've come to believe that every mom needs something of their own, whether it makes money or not, and every family situation is different. You'll do fine and make the choice that's right for you.

Hartmans said...

While I am not the best person to give you advice, because I am going to actually go against the grain and work part-time, my husband actually struggles with this, too. He is a school teacher and for some reason he feels like there is something else that he should do to "make more money", but I could care less. So, after much thought and research we were able to find something for him to do that fullfills and life long dream of his and hopefully will make us some money eventually. The cost was big, but the American dream of BIG BUSINESS had to start with something more than a desire and sometimes that means some debt and a BIG risk. For us that meant buying a tractor and starting a bush hogging, dirt spreading busines. For you it will be different. Whatever it is, make sure you do your research and can enjoy it.

Christie said...

Come work with me part time at the Gap... It is so much fun... It is a happy place and I get paid for being there... not to mention my discounts on my clothes and Callista's, oh and Adam's...