The Six "Be's"- Gordon B. Hinckley

Saturday, June 28, 2008

Computer Language

PIR, POS, ASL, T2MD...

Any of you know what these stand for? If not, you may be missing some key things you children are typing on the internet. I read about computer language in one of Glenn Beck's newsletters. When asked what these stood for, he didn't know, either. My kids are still very young, but with the advancement of technology, I cannot be naive to think that my kids may be exposed to the world of the internet sooner than I would prefer. We agree that our kids will not have computers in their rooms, but it would be ridiculous to think that I can actually monitor every second they are on the internet...it could happen elsewhere, as well as under my nose. While I still do not know all the texting lingo, and really do not care to, I think as moms we may need to check out some of these things so that we can be aware of some key terms in conversations. It is crazy to think that the internet was barely around when I graduated high school. I remember my freshman year at college talking about buying those sites like nike.com etc, just in case the internet got big, and those companies wanted them. I cannot believe how big it actually got! We cannot live without the internet, now. Just thought I would share that with you, just in case some of you have "computer age" kids, and for the rest of us who will be there sooner than later.

Oh--
PIR: parents in room
POS: parents over shoulder
ASL: age, sex location
T2MD: talk to me dirty (if I ever see this one, my child may never see a computer screen again!)

3 comments:

Mary said...

I am going to have to remember those...I just have to add that the texting and computer social networking is really ruining the family. With my niece Samantha living with us we have had some experiences that really give me no doubt that these 'sources' really need to be monitored and restrictions need to be put into place and enforced in homes.

One most recent experience we had with it was when we grounded my niece for 5 days for failing a class. No friends, no phone. The phone was the big one and without a phone attacked to Samantha she became a nicer person to be around. Not as crabby. Samantha didn't lock herself in her room as much and spent time with the family more. That week was a great week!

Katie said...

Thanks for posting this Alisa. I'll have to subscribe to Glenn's newsletters. It's crazy w/ all this computer talk. Just wait till our little ones start doing this. Luckily I've got Bryan who can do anyting w/ computers and we can watch our kids like a hawk. I think the key is staying very invovled with your children and always talking to them. Too many parents assume their children aren't doing anything on the computer when they really are.

Alisa said...

It is really scary...

To those of you that are new, Mary has a niece living with them that is a teenager. If any of you have teenagers and you have some helpful advice, or just some words of comfort, I am sure she would appreciate it. She has a 3 year old daughter, and I am sure she was not expecting a teenager so soon, but she is doing a fantastic job!