The Six "Be's"- Gordon B. Hinckley

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Playing With My Kids

Summertime is here. Along with long, hot, lazy days comes restless, irritable and discontent kids. Put a daddy that is recovering from neck surgery on top of that and you have lots of inside time. My children would love to sit in front of the T.V. all day, but when I turn it off and encourage them to play, I am amazed each time at where their imaginations take them. I love to sit and watch them, basking in their togetherness, forgetting about their all too often bickers. One of my favorite games to play with them is mimicking. My daughter might start it at bath time, repeating every word I say and motion I make. We always end up laughing at our ape-like shenanigans. Or my son might start copying his younger brother in the car. Last night it happened with my daughter and I began saying "I will listen to you when I'm a teenager." She repeated me and we ended up laughing, knowing that time is not too far away. Suddenly I realized that this silly game might have some significance. Maybe if we repeat those words over and over they will become a mantra for what's to come. Until then I'll just continue to play with my kids and hope for the best. Thanks for letting me share on this wonderful blog.

3 comments:

Alisa said...

We are so glad you have joined us, also! I will have to keep that game in mind for when my little ones are talking a little better! It may keep things light hearted when I get frustrated!!

Holli said...

Laurie - so glad to see you found this great website! I appreciate this blog.

Katie said...

My son totally mimicks us. It's funny most of the time. It is a fun game but it also keeps me incheck w/ the way I say things and what I say. It's amazing at the little things you do with your kids turn into fun games with them.
Thanks for sharing this!! :)