What are we watching?????? I went to Blockbuster for the first time in quite awhile tonight and I left feeling a little creeped out. I will admit, I have a tendency to be a little sensitive when it comes to movies, especially horror films, but I was honestly surprised by what I saw tonight. I would say that maybe half of the movies on the shelves were disturbing and GORY! Some of the covers even made me cringe. I was glad that my boys were waiting with Danny in the car so that they didn't have to see the same images. Those pictures are still in my head and I can only imagine looking at them from a three year old perspective. Where has our entertainment gone? Do I live in a total bubble or does anyone else feel this way? So much of the teen violence is blamed on video games, but after taking a stroll down the new release aisle at blockbuster I would disagree. Are people enjoying these movies? I worry about my boys and the power of media. The desensitization is what scares me the most. What will they think is okay to watch and do when they are making those choices. Our kids are constantly being bombarded with the idea that sex and drugs and violence are totally acceptable. I was flipping channels and stopped on a show called 'Degrassi, the next generation' and there was a teenage girl talking on the phone about having sex with her boyfriend. What?? This is a show completely geared towards high school age kids and that is what they are discussing. Where is Zack Morris and Screech? What is it going to be like in 10 years from now?
Needless to say I left the movie store empty handed. I just want to see a fun, happy movie. Any suggestions from anyone?
The Six "Be's"- Gordon B. Hinckley
Friday, August 31, 2007
Put me back in my bubble :)
Posted by S. Gibson at 9:37 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I know what you mean, Sara. It's really scary how much worse things have gotten just in the last ten years. I mean, I know that things are worse than when our parents were children. But, I think that entertainment has gone down-hill more in the last 10-15 yrs than in did in the last 50 yrs. It's so hard to find family appropriate movies. Even Disney movies are not what they used to be. I have rented things that are PG and was shocked at what they are allowed to say/do now even in PG movies. There are very, very few PG-13 movies that are acceptable. Romantic comedies seem to be the worst. Natalie loves the Harry Potter series and she has been very disappointed that the last two movies released have been PG-13. Another thing that bothers me (ok, now I'm really on a soapbox here) is the fast food restaurants that help advertise PG-13 movies to children. For example, why in the world does Burger King think it necessary to put Transformer movie toys in their kids meals? I mean, it's PG-13 for pete's sake! What is even sadder is that parents take their little children to see movies that even the world considers inappropriate for anyone under 13! TV is getting worse too. Even the commercials can make a person blush! No wonder children are growing up waaay too fast. It scares me to think what the future holds. In a way I'm grateful that Natalie is a little less "mature" than some of her class mates. She comes home and tells me how there are lots of girls at school that are just ga-ga over Zac Efron from High School Musical. Now, I'm not not saying there is anything wrong with that show (actually, I think it's pretty good). But, why in the world are 10 yr old girls swooning over much older guys at their age? Sometimes I think parents think it's cute and they encourage that behavior. It's not so cute to me when 12 yr olds are dating and getting into trouble that I didn't know even existed when I was that age. Sorry for my rant. But you're right Sara, I want to crawl back into my bubble too. How do we keep our children sheltered, but at the same time prepared to face temptation? That's a problem that I think about a lot.
I'm so glad that you both wrote about this. I thought I was a little sheltered, or at least made myself this way. I agree 100% with both of you. We don't watch much TV, because on every channel (including Disney) there is so much crap on tv! I don't want my kids hearing or seeing the stuff. Take for granted that yes, the Disney preschool shows are okay, but that's it. PBS has good shows for kids, but other than that-it's crap. I too worry what it will be like in 5 years. Movies, music, TV-it's all appalling at times at what's allowed to be aired. That's why I'm glad I live in my little bubble of children's movies and music. I'm amazed at how many people let their kids watch, read, play and listen to the things they do. You both said it best-it's no wonder why we have the problems we do in society. Like you both said, movies have gotten so bad. Really, G movies seem to be the only ones that won't have swearing, sexual suggestions and violence in them. Doesn't seem ironic that the presentation of sex, drugs and violence is geared towards in their most impressionist (is that a word-I hope I made sense) stage. I'm happy in my little bubble. :)
I have been really lax with Avery and letting her watch things that are beyond her years. There are things that we do not allow her to watch but at the same time I've let her watch things that I really shouldn't-Harry Potter and High School Musical are probably the most recent on the list, I really need to be better. You are right T.v. is full of nothing uplifting. I have even thought of canceling our cable to keep the temptation at bay. Thanks for making me think more of what I let into my daughters impressionable mind.
oh! don't get me started on degrassi! i would feel more guilty about watching that show then the OC! pretty darn sad!
The other thing that made me mad about Degrassi was that it's on NOGGIN. That is one of their nightime teenage shows. Um, hello?
I totally agree with you Amy about marketing toys to kids for movies they can't even see...how does that make any sense. I don't even think that a 13 year old and up eat kids meals.
O.k., Sara you have officially bust my bubble and now I am out! I have been noticing everything...how when we went to see a movie over the weekend all the previews where about people killing one another or some evil creature. Then when we rented Erogan which is PG realizing in the first 3 minutes it's not o.k. for children. And how does Flushed Away have the same PG rating?
Post a Comment