The Six "Be's"- Gordon B. Hinckley

Thursday, August 23, 2007

Feeling Guilty

Why is it as Mom's we tend to feel very guilty for taking some time to ourselves? I don't know if I'm the only one who feels like that or not. I wanted to see what others do to not feel guilty. What do you do when you get some time to yourself? I'm not talking about going to the grocery store by yourself, which I've done to have a few moments alone. I know I need some time for me-just to think and clear my head. Even if it's for 20 mins, I just need that every once in awhile. Especially since Bryan is always at work, I feel over loaded with being both parents if feels like. ( I need to add that my admiration for single parents-I don't know how they do it. I admire their strength). You know saying, "If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy." It's a true statement. When we feel burnt out, I think that shows in the way we deal with our kids and towards our husbands. If that's the case, why is it that it's so hard to take time for ourselves and enjoy it or to even make that time. We need to re-energize ourselves. This weekend Bryan told me to go take some time for me. I was so excited he said that, but I felt so guilty. WHY!?! So, I went into our room and shut the door and enjoyed a few moments to just sit and think and read. I felt great after wards. Next I need to go where I don't hear my kids crying and have to keep reassuring myself that Bryan has them and they're just fine. Please let me know your thoughts on this. Even our Bishop said it's important for Mom's to have some time to themselves where they can clear their heads and think. I'm excited to read what advice you guys have or what input you have. My mom said she'd wished she took time more. She said it's good for the kids to be with their dads for a little bit. It is. They get a little glimpse of that joy they miss when they're gone all the time. SO, I guess taking time for ourselves is good for not only us, but the hubby's and the kids.

7 comments:

Walker family said...

I couldn't agree more, Katie. I wish I could leave and get away more often. But With our husbands working so hard to provide for us it is the most difficult thing.

I feel a huge difference when I have recharged my momma battery. I enjoy my kids more, I am happier, smiling, and almost a different person. If I could only get three to five hours a week with out them, the atmosphere in our home would change.

I feel guilty not for the time away but for enjoying it so much.

You know what without the help from our husbands we should help one another out and once a week trade off the kiddos for an afternoon.

Katie said...

I feel so much better now that you said all that. We definitely need to do a trade off so we can enjoy a few hours by ourselves. Let's start doing it-seriously.

S. Gibson said...

Mommy time. I have been thinking about this a lot lately. Something I have noticed is that when I do get time to myself I don't know what to do with it. I find myself wandering Target alone, aimlessly, for 2 hours, or just driving somewhere just to get away. What on earth do I really like to do? I miss our girls nights!

Alisa said...

I feel the same way all of you do! When I am with the kids all day, I want nothing more than to have some time to myself. Michael is really good about coming home and telling me to leave and go do something, but I feel lost without my kids when I actually go somewhere. I usually end up at Target like Sara. I think I may start going to my local high school track. I love to run, so maybe it will give me some peace and quiet, and I can get rid of this tummy that keeps hanging around (literally...it hangs over my pants!) Oh--one of my brothers just returned home from his mission tonight. It was the one in England. We are all pretty excited!

Katie said...

I think we need to start a mom's day out at Target. LOL I know a lot of people who go there for there "mom" time. I agree with Sara, I miss our girls night!

Alisa-congrats on your brother coming home!! That's so awesome.

Walker family said...

Me too, I miss girls night! It actually gave us something fun to do without the kids instead of feeling lost and without our left arm! Because I can't go anywhere by myself not feel like something is seriously wrong and I feeling like I have forgotten something....my kids. I'll even look around for them.

We need to start planning a girls weekend retreat!!

Bingham Bunch said...

Kudos to all of you! I agree with Mary on I feel guilty that I enjoyed the time by myself. Sometimes I wonder if I missed something while I was gone....did someone hit a new landmark in life....did they need me? I know I do feel better when I do go. I love my "me" time on the track in the morning. I also miss our girls night. One thing I loved about our girls night is that it was so positive. We encouraged each other through struggles and it wasn't something counter productive like a big hubby-bashing session. No ones marriage is perfect and I love being around women like y'all who want what is best for our families. So if the end result is you go home feeling like you are really motivated to love a little more and be a little more relaxed that is a good thing!