The Six "Be's"- Gordon B. Hinckley

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Potty Training

I'm in need of some advice from those who have potty trained their boys (no offense to those with girls). I've heard from many people there's a difference w/ girls and boys. I've been given some advice, but nothings really working. Bryce will be 3 next month and he's getting interested in potty training, but not to where he wants to sit on the toilet, even though he has a few times. I was getting all worried that he was going to be 3 and not potty trained, but after talking to my pediatrician and other moms, most boys don't want to be potty trained until they're 3-3 1/2. We have a little seat that goes on the toilet and we'll hype up sitting the toilet and such. I just wanted to see what worked for you guys and how old your boys were when they were potty trained. Thank you!!
I just want to say Thank you Alisa for doing this blog. I love hearing everyone's questions and advice. I think this is great way for us to become closer together as moms and friends to help each other through our day to day joys and struggles. I know it's helped me.

11 comments:

Alisa said...

I have a friend (who actually just left...we had a play date!!) who has a son that is 2 and 1/2. I have invited her to join the blog, and she read it last night, so we will get her on asap. Anyway, she potty trained her son and I think she said it was a lot due to his interest. I will make sure she gets on and gives any advice she may have!!

Amy said...

I agree with what Alisa said. If the child doesn't WANT to be potty-trained, then it's not going to work. That's a universal thing, not just a boy/girl issue. Potty-training can be very stressful for the parents and the child, so if it gets to be too much, it never hurts to take a break for a few weeks/months and then try again later.

Katie said...

I'm excited to hear what your friend has to say Alisa. Thanks. Thank you Amy-that makes me feel better knowing that I"m doing good by not pushing him into doing it.

S. Gibson said...

You are doing the right thing by waiting until he's ready. Not just for him, but for you. I think it takes a lot more work than it's worth to do it before they want to. We tried to potty train Jacob when he was 2 and a few and it just didn't work. We were moving, Luke was born, and really he just wasn't ready. We waited until about 2 months after his 3rd birthday to start. We tried a few things. We made a chart with squares that had candy taped all along it and he got to put stickers in the empty squares when he went on the potty. If the square had candy in it then he got to take it. That worked pretty well for awhile, but he started peeing like every 30 minutes until he got candy. Little rascal.

We let him pick out his own potty seat for the top of the toilet, hopefully the one you have has a splash guard....definitely a NEED when first potty training little boys.

We were also putting him in underwear at home and then in pullups if we went anywhere and he always seemed to just hold it for when he was wearing his pull up. I finally just told him one day that we were going to the store and he was wearing underwear and if he went to the bathroom in them I didn't have anything for him to change into. He potty trained pretty fast after that. It just clicked. If you decide to do that just go out in small increments of time so you avoid as many accidents as possible.

Don't get discouraged!

And one more thing, I am completely convinced that men are born wanting to read on the toilet. Jacob will sit FOREVER on the toilet READING a book. It starts early, so funny!

Good Luck!

Katie said...

That's so funny about Jacob reading on the toilet. Thank you sooo much Sara for the wonderful advice! I love the chart idea, I'm going to have to do that. I'm going to use all your advice. Bryce at least has to be completely potty trained by Dec, since he's going to be in Sunbeams come Jan. I'll let you know how it goes. Thank you!

Amy said...

Sara gave you some great advice! My girls were the same way with pull-ups: they just treated them like diapers. Real underwear/panties really helps them get the concept better. Natalie and Lily also responded well to books about potty training. Not the weird kind where you crack up laughing reading them and almost get kicked out of Barnes & Nobles (funny story I won't go into):) Natalie had a Little Critters book about potty training and it helped her. Lily had a social story about it that was written about her and potty training. I wrote it and Natalie illustrated it. It was really cute! Anyway, good luck! It will happen, it just takes time and patience.

Katie said...

Thank you so much Amy! I saw that Little Critters book and thought of getting that, but then I thought it was weird. LOL Now that I know it helped out Natalie, I'll get it and see if helps Bryce. I appreciate all the feedback! Everything helps. Thank you!!!!!!!!!

Bingham Bunch said...

I think we all get hyped up way too much about potty training. The truth of the matter is they do it when they want to. All 3 of my potty trained children did it in 2 days or less. I made the mistake of trying to force Bayley when he was 2 and it wore out both of us. So.....I turned a deaf ear to all the old ladies with fantastic stories of potty trained infants, waited and Bayley finally wanted to AFTER his 4th birthday. We were at the store and I offered to let him pick out underwear, he did, I put it on him and told him when he had to go, go to the potty. He had one accident and was so upset that Bob the Builder was all messy that he got it from then on. Never used pull-ups with Bayley. Payson was 2 and some when he wanted to. He did it in 2 days. I did the same thing, offered underwear as the reward and when he was ready to take it, he did. Payson is almost six and still wears a pull-up at nights but the pediatrician says it is normal for occasional nightime accidents with growing boys. Jennaveve saw older brothers using the potty and decided she wanted panties. She did it in 2 days also just before her 2nd birthday. It has gotten easier with each kid. Skyla is 2 and Jennaveve was done training at her age.....Skyla however yells NO! if I offer her underwear. Every week I offer and when she says yes we'll go for it. Oh, another thing I did was take the potential trainee into the bathroom with me every single time I went. They all got a sense of the pattern. They would watch, help flush, wash hands and finally they would want to copy. Good luck with everything!!!!

Katie said...

You're amazing Andrea!! :)
Thank you for your advice and I'll do that as well. I like that you mentioned taking them into the bathroom, because we do that with Bryce. He's become very interested. I need to take him to the store to pick out his underwear, and just go for it now. He now doesn't like to wear his diaper. Perfect time to start "trying" to potty train.

Gooches said...

if he is only barely three, JUST WAIT! play with his curiosity, but only when he wants to. potty is the only control that our kids have and boys love to use it (although my daughter was worse to potty train). when i finally let my son tell me when he was ready he was standing up and all by the end of the week! (ps i would love to be added to your site goochymomma@gmail.com or cutegooches.blogspot.com- sara gibson's friend, holly)

Katie said...

Hi Holly-we'll be sure to add you to this sight that Alisa has done. I appreciate your advice. That makes me feel better too knowing that he's almost 3 and not potty trained. Thank you so much!