Okay so i have a busy life, as do most of us moms. What you are about to hear is not by any means bragging about what i do, but instead intended to prove a point about insecurities. I am a mom of two beautiful but very "spirited" children. I am going to school to be a nurse and i work graveyard shifts at the hospital. graveyards meaning 11pm to 7am. it takes me almost an hour to get home so my kiddies are awake when i get there. i work graves so that i can be with my kids during the day. this also means i get 3-4 hours of sleep a day, and not even in one segment, usually 2 two hour segments. well the craziness in my head volunteered me to also watch two little boys during the day. i have been referred to as super woman, but feel more like "superly exhausted woman who just wants a manicure and pedicure." okay so me, "super woman" walks into my physiology lab class. and let me just say that my size 3 jeans have been long put away for what i would consider "mom jeans" (although sara would get mad at me if she heard me say that)after 2 children and seven years of marriage. that "hot, sexy momma" is now "one chubby mother", although my lovely husband begs to differ (that is why i love him so!). okay, so i walk into class thinking i have things under control. and then it happens. this sexy, size 0 readhead (with perfectly manicured hair) walks in, in a super stylish long gray sweater, and red belt around it, sinched to the last whole of course, super cute jeans and i am sure expensive stiletos. that is when super woman flies out the door and i am left with the chubby, scrub wearing, hair in a ponytail mess of a person. i shrink down so that i am not noticed, but no worries everyone is focused on barbie's best friend. why after years of hard work does it only take seconds to destroy your sense of being? and then i remember what my sweet little five year old son told me as i walked out of the door that evening "mommy you are the most beautiful girl in the world" and i try to remember what and who is important in my life and who i am doing all of this for and that the extra 50 lbs (yes 50 sara!) that i have gained means that i have two beautiful children and a hot husband who loves me. Sara and i were out and about with our kids last week and two totally trendy superficial girls get on the elevator with us. our kids are covered in food and belle didn't even have pants on because she peed in them at lunch! they get off of the elevator and sara and i just look at eachother and laugh. we decided that there are definitely days that we wish we looked like that but we would never trade our families in for it, and plus it seemed like too much work! anyway point is, don't let any super cute trendy skinny girl ruin your day and remember how much we are loved by our kids and husbands!
The Six "Be's"- Gordon B. Hinckley
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I so needed to read this! Thank you so much for posting that. You and Sara both are hot trendy moms! Don't forgot that. You are an example to me for working and going to school and being home with your kids! I envy (in a good way) you for that. I hope I'll be able to do what you're doing-school, being a stay at home mom. It's amazing. I LOVE you blog and your talent for decorating! It's amazing! I must say to what your son said, he's too cute! He's been taught well. :)
Wow! I had no idea how much of a super mom you were! That is insane you are able to juggle all of that! I have been thinking about going back to school, so it is nice to hear about other moms doing it. What your son said was so sweet, and probably not a coincidence...you needed to hear that at that moment.
I totally feel this way most of the time. I have learned to care less about being a "hot momma" though it still creeps in. Alisa...good point kids are so close to the Lord and his spirit that your son, Spencer right?, probably didn't know that the spirit was talking to him, telling him to help you. He's got to be a sweet pie.
And you are "supermom"! I would never survive on just a few hours of sleep. And taking care of other children during the day!! I have experienced it and it's a lot of extra work. Kudos to you!
You're an amazing mom! I don't know how you can handle all of that. What your son said was so sweet! I guess as moms we have to constantly remind ourselves that we shouldn't compare ourselves to all the "trendy" women out there. It's not easy though. It sounds like you have a wonderful husband who let's you know just how beautiful you are to him. That's something that I'm sure any "trendy" woman would love to have even more than the latest style clothes or a perfect hair-do.
Spencer is such a sweetheart! Good post Hol. I needed to hear that too. I totally feel like such a scruffle monkey all of the time but it's mostly because I'm comparing the way I am dressed to those girls we saw in the elevator. I just don't have the time, money, or energy to keep up with it, and you are right, it's totally okay. And when I actually think about it I don't really care that much. You are such a wonderful person. I am constantly amazed at the ability you have to keep doing what you are doing and still balance EVERYTHING else you didn't mention (church callings, soccer games, visiting teaching, classroom mom, high maintenance friends named Sara, etc...) I love you and think you are one hot sexy mommy!
thanks girls for your comments. amy- you totally said it perfectly, i am lucky to have a husband like mine and even the cute moms want to hear compliments from their husbands! and sara- ilove you! your comment made me laugh. you are my sister soul my "high maintenance friend" (whatever!)
Post a Comment