Well, I knew the day would come eventually and it has. Coult and I are now considered officially "weird" parents. When Natalie came home from school yesterday she told me that some of her friends (one in particular) think that we are weird because we won't let her have a cell phone or a My Space page. Keep in mind that we are talking about 10 yr olds! I can't believe how many kids I see when I pick her up from school walking around chatting or texting on cell phones. Natalie wasn't upset, she was just curious why she couldn't have those things. I explained to her that we thought 10 was a bit young for a cell phone, especially since she has no need for one. We take her to school and pick her up each afternoon, so it's not like she needs one for walking home alone or something. As far as My Space pages go, I told her that they can be dangerous, especially for someone her age who may me left inappropriate messages by people who may or may not be who they claim to be. This explanation seemed to appease her, but it left me wondering about the future. I know that we can't protect her forever, but it seems like we are having to face issues at a much younger age than I expected. Then I realized that if we're considered weird parents, then we might actually be doing something right. We are told that we will be considered a "peculiar" people in the last days, so I guess this is one of those times when that description fits perfectly. At least at this point, Natalie is still okay with our rules. I know that at some point in the near future, SHE will be the one saying we're "weird" and that will be much harder to handle, I think.
The Six "Be's"- Gordon B. Hinckley
Tuesday, September 4, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
I can not image cell phones in elementary schools! Who are they calling when they are already with their friends, not their parents that's for sure. And Myspace isn't even that wonderful for adults let alone children. These are the things I do not look forward to with having preteens/teenagers especially having girls.
Good for you guys for sticking to your guns and not letting any of it phase your parenting.
Ohmigosh!!! That is insane. Think about how much things have changed in the last 10 years, and can you imagine the next 10??? I agree with Mary...great job on sticking to your guns, but, unfortunately, I think it will only get worse. If anyone knows anyone with preteens, see if they will join our group and share any insight they may have. Good luck, Amy!!
You're awesome! Good for you guys for being so strong and standing firm on your rules. From working in the school district and having friends who do, the things that happened in high school or things that other people were doing, are now happening in middle school! That's scary. The most important thing is not straying from your rules and your kids will admire you, it may not be now, but they will. I'm grateful my parents never did, even though at the time I may have been mad. You're right about us being a peculiar people-that time has come. I worry about a lot of things for when Bryce goes to school in a few years. It's going to be even worse. It's sad that more parents aren't like you guys. You're not only teaching your children, but you're protecting them from the sickos that are out there. Be proud to be weird...lol. Yes, that means you're doing what you're suppose. Kuddos to you guys!
I agree with everyone, good job you guys. This is such an interesting thing that is happening to kids. My sister's has three daughters that are 10, 12, and 15. Her and I talk about this all of the time because it is a HUGE issue. They are like you guys and just have not given into their kids begging and pleading. No my space, no chatting on line, no cell phones for the younger ones (the fifteen year old has one now, but is not allowed to text if she is with another human being and is not allowed to bring it to CHURCH), they actually don't even have tv in their house. My nieces really are such fantastic, creative, smart girls, it is really working. One thing that we were talking about this whole texting thing and my space that scares me is that it takes away personal contact with real people. My space allows teens to be whomever they please and this along with texting allows them to avoid any real contact with people. Are they going to learn how to truly communicate in their relationships and jobs this way? Friends hang out together and chat online or text other people while they are hanging out 'with each other'. No personal contact. No one is talking anymore. Kind of creepy. It's like there will be a whole generation of kids who can't talk to real people. Does that even make sense? My sister's stake president spoke at a fireside and told the kids that if they were texting inappropriately (at church, during the sacrament) that it was a sin and they needed to repent. I thought that was pretty intense. My sister said it was pretty crazy that they had to have a whole fireside that specifically talked about text messaging. That's how big the problem is! Good luck! You guys are doing the right thing by being tough about it.
Wow Sara! I like what you've said-all of it. I have never thought of it that way. That's why I love that Alisa did this! We all learn from what we all say and post.
I was talking to Michael about this, and he said that the next time someone says something like that, she should say, "yeah, it really is sad that my parents love me." I thought that was pretty neat. Sara...can you get your sister to be a part of our blog? We may all be able to learn a lot from her!
i know i don't make a lot of comments, but i just wanted to say that i am very impressed with all of you and i learn a lot from your experences, thank you soo much for putting them all out there for people like me to read them and think about them. GREAT JOB!
Thanks everybody! It's nice to know that Coult and I are on the right track, at least with this issue. I knew that parenting was going to be difficult. But, some days seem more difficult than others. I'm so glad that Alisa created this site where we can share experiences and advice.
well, we are supposed to be considered a "peculiar people" so you are on the right track! good job mom! we don't need to give in to things that are going to give our children any more info to the outside world. someday she will know how to work for her things and appreciate them!
Hallelujah to ALL of you! I took Bayley to his classroom (3rd grade) and on the door it said, "Please turn off cell phones". WHAT????? It is so scary how vulnerable modern technology makes children who really don't have the experience or maturity to make decisions with these tools. I love the quote about saying it's a shame my parents love me. Ha! I also encourage my kids to invite over their friends to hang out at our house. I had a "too cool" kid with baggy pants (who regularly throws down firecrackers in the street or wanders around by himself aimlessly bouncing a basketball) making cookie dough and loving it. The other kids in the street laugh about it....until I smile and invite them to join in with us. I think it's important to remember that though they may "act" older, these kids haven't even been alive two decades!! I think if we offer things appropriate for their age and participate with them and make it fun, they will drop their cell phones and the web and take the interaction with a nurturing adult keenly interested in them.
Post a Comment