The Six "Be's"- Gordon B. Hinckley

Friday, October 12, 2007

The worst invention ever for kids

Avery has recently been terrified of public restrooms. I have spent ten minutes trying to get her to use one just to resort to forcing her to sit while crying to prevent an accident. All of this is due to self flushing toilets. One time a sensor was triggered and flushed while Avery was sitting on the potty. She jump three feet in the air and off the toilet as fast as she could. Since then all public restrooms are scary. What a horrible idea it was to start installing self flushing toilets in public restrooms where poor little ones are using them.

6 comments:

Amy said...

I completely agree with you! Those things are sooo loud and when they flush when a child isn't expecting it, it can be very scary. Lily usually covers her ears as soon as she gets off the toilet and the whole time we're in the stall, she is talking about whether the toilet is going to "flush by itself". She always asks me to wait until the stall door is open before I flush the toilet.

Alisa said...

That would definitely be traumatic! And, since Tye is not there, yet, I have no suggestions! Hopefully she will get over it soon!

Mary said...

You know what, some lady in the bathroom over heard me trying to convince Avery to sit and she actually told me that if you put your hand over the sensor then they won't flush. I am going to test it out, hopefully with out traumatizing Avery more.

Bingham Bunch said...

Yes indeed.......Skyla is the same way. We were actually at the Ft. Worth Zoo and she REFUSED to go. A minute after we walked out of the bathroom--she had an accident. It is true that covering the sensor will stop the flush, or I just wave my hand in front of the sensor so we can watch it flush before getting on. I think it just takes time and experience for them to learn that they won't be sucked away! Until then.....wear dresses just in case........

Katie said...

Poor Avery. I wish I had something to add, but I haven't experienced that yet since Bryce isn't potty trained yet. I have heard about the hand covering the senser. Good luck.

S. Gibson said...

I still don't like it when the toilet flushes before I'm done. Good luck with that one. Can I just add one more thing that drives me crazy.... why is it that the alarm button is the lowest button on the elevator? Luke loves to push it. It's just the right height.