So, I am not the neatest person in the world. Never have been, probably never will be. However, I have gotten a handle on the toy situation. For almost 2 months now, I have been able to pick up all the toys and put them in there place in less than 5 minutes. I put away/ gave away some toys a couple of months ago, and everything I kept had to fit in my designated toy containers. It has been a lifesaver! The downside? Now the mess is all mine, and I can't blame it on the kids! Also, Amy and I were talking about this earlier...we all have family and friends that like to give our kids things. Some of us have kids that know how to manipulate people into buying them toys. Solution? For every new toy that comes in, they must give away or put away 2-3 toys. This way, they really have to decide it this new $1.99 toy that will break in one day is worth getting rid of something else. This may really eliminate the impulse toys at the checkout! Tye is barely old enough to start doing this, so I will let you all know how it works out!
The Six "Be's"- Gordon B. Hinckley
Monday, April 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
I totally love that idea, out with the old and in with the new (and you especially know that the toy situation at my house is beyond out of control). You would be proud of me, I sold some toys at a garage sale this weekend.
Yea!!! (Now you can go buy that pretty shirt we saw!) I know my kids are still really young, and it is going to be worse when Kenadie realizes there is a whole other world of girl toys, but I am at least keeping it contained right now!
Oh my gosh, I have a total toys infestation!!
Grandmas are the worst, this past Christmas I tried telling them PLEASE NO TOYS!! But they do what they want and if I even mention getting rid of toys to Jess he freaks out and tells me he never wants to see me buy another toy ever again.
We have poor toys who have not been touched or played with in FOREVER!! I don't know what to do.
Congratulations on the garage sale Sara!! I love that idea Alisa!! Once my kids get into the toy asking stage, I'm going to remember this. We haven't gotten new toys in forever.
I must say that when getting rid of toys-Fisher Price toys esp. little people sell well on Craigslist. They hold their value.
We also gave toys to my parents and brothers and sisters for when they watch the kids. It's nice, because they have toys over there. (these are my bros/sis who don't yet have kids of their own).
Another good place we've given a lot of toys too, is SafePlace. It's the women's/children's shelter in Austin and all the surrounding areas. These kids come into the shelter with nothing-they've left the worse kind of violence you could think of. SO, toys are always needed there. If you want, you also get a tax donation receipt too. (Not that the receipt is important or anything). When we've gone through toys to get rid of, Bryce got involved with giving toys away to Safe Place, as I told him that little boys and girls didn't have any toys and he wants to help. He hand picked some toys too. It was SO sweet.
I like that idea, Katie. As soon as they are old enough to realize how special it is to give their toys to someone who really needs them, they seem to want to be involved. I keep thinking of President Monson's talk about the train he gave away when he was very young, and still remembers the feeling so many years later. I still also like the craigslist/ garage sale idea, because I got almost $200 and think of what you could do with that! You could buy yourself something special because we never do that, or save for a fun day out with the kids!
I love that story too Alisa. It's a great story. I also like the idea of selling stuff at a garage sale to get something special for ourselves (that would be nice hahah) or for a fun trip or day out w/ the kids. Maybe seaworld passes or something like that too.
Shoot, we need to do one big garage sale all together! That would be SO fun.
If we did that, I think we could afford to ALL take a girls' retreat weekend someplace fun! If we had a goal like that in mind, can you imagine the "clutter" we would get rid of?!?! lol!
Post a Comment