The Six "Be's"- Gordon B. Hinckley

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

JUST a stay at home Mom

"you've got nothing better to do..."
"you have more time than I do..."

These are a few phases that I have heard recently(and repeatedly) from a sister of mine that has a toddler and works full-time outside the home. (nothing against working moms). Hearing these two simple phases have bugged me and gotten under my skin so terribly bad. I would expect to hear these kind of things from a man(sorry guys) but a women. And a mom too.

I feel comfortable and proud to be a stay at home mom so why does things like this irritate me so much? I pondered this as I was having my own little pity party last night over hearing such things. I realized these comments made my self worth diminish. I felt less productive or like I don't contribute to society because I am not out working in public. In my eyes and through others eyes I suddenly had meant less to the world.

I don't believe it, I mean a ton to the world. I may not be out working but I am working in my home and for my community. My self worth is bounteous. I know being a stay at home mom is worth so much. More than we sometimes think. Why do stay at home moms get such a hard time about staying home?

5 comments:

Alisa said...

The world. Pure and simple. The "world" has put it in every person's head that being a mom is less glorious than, say a NY stock exchange person or something. I have to say, though, that this is the hardest "job" I have ever had, and I have been the sole person responsible for multi-million dollar businesses. I am ashamed to say, though, that sometimes I get embarrassed when I say I "just" stay home. I think that is where it has to start, though, is with us. If we ever expect the "world" to see our divine worth, we have to first see it in ourselves and be ever so proud of it (regardless if we "lose it" with our kids some days. My mom was a SAHM, and I would not have had it any other way. I hated being at home sometimes (you, know, the teenage thing...too cool...) but, my friends loved coming over because my family actually cared about one another. My mom had supper cooked, and was there during the day when we needed her. I think my mom was the anchor that held all of us together. Unfortunately, it is getting more and more difficult to stay home for economic reasons, but I think that those of us who can must try our best to embrace the opportunity and be proud to be given the chance to focus all of our time and energy on our precious children.

Alisa said...

Somehow I missed the 2 phrases at the beginning. I kept wondering what started all that. So, to keep going on that note...WHAT IS SHE THINKING???? Remember, I worked outside the home until Tye was 14 months old, about 45 hours/ week. Some evenings, most weekends. I get really frustrated when people think just because we stay home, then we have all this extra time. I was able to get more done when I worked outside the home. I will say it again, this is the hardest job I have ever had. Your sister needs a reality check. (Now I am frustrated, can you tell?) lol

acte gratuit said...

Hello. I'm a friend of Kim Brown. Just wanted to say that I recently read the book "I Am A Mother" by Jane Clayson Johnson. She talks all about this very thing. It was so great to hear a former professional defend motherhood and tell about her experiences. I highly recommend it!

Amy said...

It's frustrating to me too. It seems like so many people look down on SAHM. Then again, I'm not helping any when I feel embarassed to tell people that I stay home. I try to keep reminding myself that home is exactly where I'm supposed to be. This is the season of our lives where our children are supposed to be our top priority. We should never feel ashamed to be where Heavenly Father wants us to be. I think I'm going to look into getting the book by Jane Clayson that the previous poster recommended. It sounds like it would be very helpful.

Katie said...

I'm going to really bite my tongue on this. It really makes me so peeved at how SAHM's are preceived. At least Dr Laura calls it how it is. SAHM are extremely important. Nothing against moms who have to work outside the home. I'm PROUD to be SAHM. Yes, this is the hardest thing I've ever had to do, but it's my MOST REWARDING job ever.

If there were more SAHM, our world would be a better place-meaning Mom's who stayed home who didn't need to work (I know there are mom's who have to work and I'm not talking about those moms). Mom's who took the time to be involved in their children's lives, who were home when their kids got home from school, provided a loving enviornment and a place of security. Our society is lacking on love and responsible children. That comes from the home! NOT someone else raising your kids.

Like has been mentioned-I loved Jane Clayson's book. Also-read Dr Laura's books and her blog. You'll feel SO empowered as a SAHM!
I don't even know if this makes sense or not. I have so much I want to say, but I'm not saying as I don't want to sound rude or offend anyone. I'm extremely defensive when it comes to something so SACRED as a STAY AT HOME MOM!!