The Six "Be's"- Gordon B. Hinckley

Friday, July 25, 2008

This is kinda silly...

Michael had his Fantasy Football draft tonight, so that left me with the kids from this morning until whenever he gets home tonight. I put a movie on for the kids, and I had this idea to put together a "wish" book. Basically, I get catalogs in the mail constantly (especially Victoria's Secret), and I always see things that I want, but when I have a little extra "spending money" I can't ever think of what those things were! So, I went through the catalogs and cut out pictures of the things I liked. This also allowed me to throw away a stack of magazines! I think I am going to share it with Michael, and on my birthday and Christmas, he can just look through the "wish" book, pick something out, and get it for me! We have not actually bought each other gifts in years, because we never know what the other person wants. The funny thing is, it actually satisfied my urge to shop! I love shopping, and with 2 kids, it is not always possible to do so, so I tend to end up on the internet, and will occasionally buy myself something. So, looking through catalogs, I felt like I was shopping, maybe because I cut out the pictures (who knows), and I don't feel that craving! So, I thought I would share it with all of you. It may sound a little silly, but I thought it was fun! Oh-- I think I will broaden it to a family thing, too. There are some things that I would like to get that aren't really in the budget now, but this way, I can have a goal and something to remind me of it!

2 comments:

Amy said...

I don't think that's silly at all! It's a great idea! Actually, I had Coult do that once with one of his tool catalogs. He is forever mentioning tools that he needs, but then I can never remember which ones when it's time for b-day, Christmas, or anniversary. It helped some. I think I'm going to put one together for our family too, like you suggested. Maybe it would help us save more if we had a reminder of the things that we really want either individually or as a family.

Katie said...

I think that's a great idea! It's not silly at all. I do this all time on projects I want to do and ideas I have for the house. I just put them in a notebook and when I'm able to do something I pull out the picture.

I'm going to have to start doing this though. I love it.