Today, I was tested. I don't like to be tested because I usually fail miserably.
My 5 year old son had is Kindergarten test this morning at the elementary school he will be attending this year. He got to meet his teacher, see his classroom, and show her how smart he is. When the test was finished, he had to sign some papers. One of them being the computer policy from the school board. In this policy it says that the signer will not go to any unapproved websites, namely pornographic websites. Now I'm thinking "He doesn't even know how to start a computer much less get on the Internet." But, because of the way this world is going and the lack of parental involvement in some children's life, this necessary.
Now on to the part where I was tested.
At work today I was discussing this with my co-workers and my boss. The boss says that it is a shame that we have come to this. I agreed with him, as did my co-workers. Now one of my co-workers lives an alternative lifestyle and said that because of pornography she could never have a boy. In her eyes, all boys grow up to be men addicted to pornography. This is where the real test began. I felt like she was attacking my son. If she would have said "some boys" or "most boys" it might not have upset me as much. Usually, when someone makes a comment that upsets me like this one did I automatically make a comment to upset them. But this one time I didn't. Here is what I told her:
"Not all boys grow up that way. When parents be parents and teach their sons to respect women there is great possibility that they will respect us. My son will open the door for his Momma because his Daddy taught him the importance of respect. I grew up in a home where my parents always told me that if I needed to talk to them about anything I always could. And I always did. I am teaching my children this. When my son reaches puberty and things start happening that he doesn't understand I want him to know that his daddy or myself will be there to explain to him what his body is going through."
My boss and other co-worker seemed to agree with me but the one to whom I was addressing didn't say a word. You see, she doesn't know what our Jesus did for us and she doesn't understand that she can be loved unconditionally. I pray for her daily.
So, did I pass? I hope so. I think I did because I didn't get angry nor did I speak before I had time to think. I have been praying about my opinionated mouth and I think that I might be getting the hang of it. The scripture that I have been using to help with this is Psalm 141:3 "Set a guard over my mouth, O LORD; keep watch over the door of my lips."
The Six "Be's"- Gordon B. Hinckley
Tuesday, July 15, 2008
Tested, but did I pass? I usually don't.
Posted by Micha at 6:44 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I have a son, and I would have felt the same way. In a world full of sin, it is true that many will fall into this pattern, but it is up to us as parents to set the foundation so that hopefully, our children will not falter. And if by chance they do, we must be there to love them unconditionally. To believe that every man grows up to be a porn addict, so you choose women, just seems a little extreme to me, but that is just my opinion! Way to go for standing up for your son and for what you believe!
I think you passed with flying colors! I feel you were also a great example to her. Not only did you not get mad, but you explained to her how boys should be raised.
I have a son as well and I would have found that hard to bite my tongue on my response. I think you said it perfectly. I totally agree with you.
Parents are responsible to teach their children and to raise them up well and good mannered. Our world is turning out the way it is, because so many parents have dropped the ball on being parents.
Like Alisa said, way to go on standing up for your son and your beliefs! I respect anyone who does that. Not only does that say something about who you are, but that shows your son that you'll always be there to support him and stand up for him. (I know he probably has no idea about what happened, but it's the principle of the actions of defending him). I would have done the same thing had someone made a comment like that about my son.
I also feel very bad for the lady who feels they way she does about boys/men. I feel bad that something has happened in her life that she feels that way. Hopefully what you said made her realize that not all boys grow up to be like that.
I think you did great! I don't have any sons, but I still found you co-worker's comment sad and offensive. I feel bad for her that she honestly believes that every boy will become a porn addict or worse. What a sad way to go through life. I also remember having to sign that school internet policy and thinking how ridiculous it felt to have a kindergarten child signing an agreement to not visit any offensive, unauthorized websites. I mean, I know that it's for safety and all, but it still seems silly in light of how naive (thankfully) my daughter was at five. Again, I think you passed that test with flying colors!
Post a Comment