On Sunday morning our neighbors dog ran into the road and was hit by a car. He died later that day. We were all at home when it happened and Jess went to help, it was a very very sad day. Levi(the dog) wasn't ours but we all felt really horrible and upset. Avery has always loved Levi. We also felt really sad for our neighbors because he was their baby. He meant so much to them.
So, to the point...Avery has been asking when Levi is coming back. I explained to her that he was hurt, went to the doctor and they couldn't help him so he died and went on to heaven. Then she was asking when he'd be alive again. I tried to explain that it doesn't work that way and we wouldn't see Levi again till we went to heaven. At first she said she wanted to see Jesus too. Didn't know what to say to that. Except it wouldn't happen for a long time. Avery was getting a little upset by then. She started telling me she didn't want to die and started rattling off every family member and friend we know saying she didn't want them to die either. Of course I explained to her that no one was dying anytime soon (knock on wood) and that I felt the same way that she did.
We had this conversation a few times today. I helped her make a card and we took flowers to our neighbors. I hope by doing this it may help her understand we can lean on one another, to comfort each other.
The hardest part for her to understand is that Levi is not coming back. I really don't know how to explain it any better to her. How do you explain something like death to a child?
The Six "Be's"- Gordon B. Hinckley
Monday, May 5, 2008
How to explain death to a toddler?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I'm sorry to hear that. That's so sad. I think you explained it the best you could. I would have done it the same way. I wish I knew more to say, but I don't. I think it's important that you did talk to her about it.
This is so tough. I am sorry that I do not have any words of wisdom, but I think the way you handled it was great. Good luck!
Oh NO! I remember Levi, he was such a cute dog. That really is sad. Honestly, I think kids need to just hear it how it is. What you said sounds perfect. I think it's completely natural for them to talk about it and worry about it, I think that is just human nature. You are doing the most important thing by letting her express her worries and thoughts with you. Jacob asks about death a lot. He worries. He tells me he doesn't want me to die. I usually tell him that Heavenly Father decides when it's time to come back and live with Him and that right now, He wants me to be here with Jacob and that I am his mommy forever. He loves us best and wants us to be happy. I usually tell him that I trust Heavenly Father and ask if he trusts him too and he always says yes. That seems to make him feel better. I don't know if this is the best way to handle it, but it seems to work for us. I would always feel a little funny telling Jacob that I wasn't going to die. So just telling him how I really feel about it, in kid words, makes me feel a little more confident.
Post a Comment