The Six "Be's"- Gordon B. Hinckley

Monday, February 2, 2009

Meals

What do all of you give your kids to eat? Especially the ones under 5. My kids eat pretty well, but I have to admit, I get lazy when it comes to meals. I do not have a good diet, I find it really hard to sit down and eat, so I find the easiest, fastest things I can. Tye loves peanut butter/ jelly sandwiches, and Kenadie loves chicken nuggets. So, that is what their lunches usually are, and supper is usually a pasta or rice dish. Do any of you have easy, healthy food ideas that you give your little ones??

10 comments:

Megs said...

I am not saying these are the most healthy options, but here are some suggestions. Hot dogs, deli meat and cheese (I don't do a sandwich because it is harder for him to eat right now), tuna fish, hard boiled eggs (I have not tried it, but my friends say their kids love it), pancakes (a huge hit at my house), ramen with peas, grilled cheese, and quesadillas. Lunches are the hardest for me so I hope others post some ideas as well. Great questions!! I usually try to do a fruit or veggies with each meal too.

Mary said...

The first thing I thought of was that what u r feeding them sounds fine just try to give them fruits and veggies too. I know this is really hard, especially veggies. Either with their meal or as a snack. I have snack for on the go like goldfish, fruit snacks, ect.. We don't eat them at home I have seperate snacks like fresh fruit and other 'helthier' foods. The only other thing is give them variety bc it's my belief and in my opinion giving the same thing for every meal makes for picky eaters now and later.
It's tough, good luck!!

Amy said...

The foods you're giving them sound fine to me. If we had leftover veggies from supper the night before, I would also put those on the girls plates. Things like green beans, peas, carrots, etc. Lily would eat her veggies better if I mashed them up into rice or mashed potatoes. I guess the flavors weren't as strong that way and it helped her with texture issues. Like the others said, the most important thing is to offer them the fruits and veggies along with the chicken nuggets, etc. I wasn't always good at remembering the veggies as a side for lunch, so I tried to always offer them at supper time. I think at the toddler/preschooler age, the most important thing is exposing them to different foods so that they will have an easier time trying new foods in the future. There were several veggies that my girls refused the first 5 or 6 tries (or more), but then started to eat them. I wish I could say the same for myself! LOL Ketchup was a favorite too because if they could dip the offending food in that, they were more likely to eat it.

Shelby Bingham said...

Good ideas from all. To add a bit more... Dipping veggies in ranch dressing is a favorite around here. Simple burritoes with just refried beans and cheese on a flour tortilla. Dinner leftovers are fought over for lunch the next day -- I try to make enough dinner to always have leftovers -- especially soups and stews. For a real treat (and if I plan way ahead) I will make homemade whole wheat bread and serve it for lunch with honey butter and whatever the seasonal fruit is (watermelon, cantaloupe, strawberries etc.) (It has taken me over 17 years to actually make a really good loaf of bread!! Lots of paper weight loaves!! LOL) If all else fails, our family standby is oatmeal for any meal.

Alisa said...

I should have specified so y'all wouldn't think I was TOTALLY bad...they have 1 banana, or 1 apple(each) with lunch, or if I am out of those, can fruit or grapes work. Veggies are a little harder. I think they get plenty of fruit...I just love hearing other ideas and all of you had some great ones!! Thank you!

Amy said...

Don't worry. We know you feed them well! LOL I am impressed by how much your kids love fruit! I'll never forget the time I saw Tye eating a strawberry at a wedding reception-leaves and all! LOL

Unknown said...

I have the same problem. Lunch tends to be really simple around here because I'm not good in the kitchen (Dan cooks dinner and lunch and breakfast are always way better when he's home on the weekends). PB&J, corndogs, or sometimes just various fruits, cheese and crackers are my lunch main stays. One thing I love is that my daughter loves peas. I'll pour some frozen ones in a dish with some water and zap it in the microwave for 30-45 seconds. Then I'll drain them and she'll wolf them down. We bought some single-serve "steamers" one time and she'll eat the entire package by herself. Sometimes I'll add corn or use the mixed veggies, but it's always the peas that disappear out of her bowl first. I wish I was as good as the rest of you :P

Mary said...

yep, alisa...we def know your kids get fed well. :-) as I was writing that stuff about fruits and veggies i thought to myself...'she does feed her kids this stuff.' shelby thats a great idea with the borritos, my avery loves beans. we've done it before, it's been forever though. it's really great because if we have left over beans from the night before i know exactly what to do with them the next day. i do the deli meat and cheese a lot too, sometimes with wheat thins or other crackers.
i saw on the doctors yesterday that dipping was an awesome way to get ur kids to eat anything. they suggested yogurt with fruit. they were talking about how to keep ur kids healthy during this cold/sick season and they said the #1 thing was to keep them away from sugar! (that it would weaken their immune systems.) second was to get lots of fruits and veggies. we've got our work cut out for us, don't we moms!?!?

natalie said...

Have you tried hiding veggies in other foods like Jessica Seinfeld's cookbook: Deceptively Delicious. I have a copy if you want to look.
Also at Walmart they sell green beans, carrots, and corn (seperately) in little cups kind of like fruit cups in the veggie aisle. Bryn thinks anything packaged must be yummy (ie junk food) so she eats it right up.

Alisa said...

I have not tried Deceptively Delicious but Sara cooked from that when Tye and I visited and it was actually pretty good. I should do that for myself, too (not a veggie person, but trying with my kids!)