The Six "Be's"- Gordon B. Hinckley

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Save Save Save

I was just wondering what all you moms out there do to save money?

Recently I have been trying to make a few changes in effort to save. At the beginning of the year I stopped eating lunch out. We used to hit a kid friendly food place probably once a week. This has been surprisingly difficult.

Also, I am giving up my swifering. It's definitley more expensive, thanks to my husband for pointing out the actually cost per mopping, so I bought a mop and used it for the first time yesterday.

We used to leave our computer on 24/7 but now I make sure to turn it off every night and again surprisingly sometimes it doesn't come back on till after mid day. Unfortunetly that savings is hard to see.

And as Alisa mentioned we are going to start cutting coupons and watching sales. I think we are both on the fence about maybe doing the grocery game.

So, I am really interested!! What do you do? I could use some help and ideas in my efforts to save!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Among other things, our family is trying hard to stay away from the snacks and non-essentials at the grocery store. We make a list of things that are on sale this week that we use on a regular basis, so we can stock up (especially if we happen to have a coupon), then we add things that we need (like milk and cheese), and if we have a menu (something we are trying to impliment) add anything else we need for the menu.

We too are trying to avoid eating out. Looking at our budget in past months we found that between lunch and dinners out we were spending in excess of $50-$150 a month. This is something we definately cannot afford. I tried the grocery game once, but didn't do very well as they only had ads/coupons for Phoenix that only partially coincided with Tucson (where we lived) and many of the items (such as make-up and cleaners) we would never buy from the grocery store. I have been thinking of trying it again since the move, but haven't gotten around to it. Let me know how it works out for you.

Unknown said...

Oh and we buy bread and buns from our local bakery outlet (Orowheat or Sara Lee). We can usually get a loaf for $1.29 or less for something you'd pay $3.49 in the grocery store for. And I recommend investing in a freezer. When meat is on sale we buy it it quantity and freeze it. We do this with bread and buns too.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hartmans said...

I recommend that if you haven't shopped for the big ticket items that are a must (i.e. insurance for cars, homes, etc.) you check out some online quotes. I got something in the mail the other day from Geico and after some budgeting we decided it might be worth the fifteen or twenty minutes that I am going to be sitting at the computer anyway to get a quote. I took out my current policy and starting entering information to find out that we could save a little over $700 a year! That is $70 bucks a month that we are now saving as of noon today. We definitely have other areas to improve in, but we are no longer paying that much more money to have the same coverage! I hope that you have as much FUN saving that much money as I have.

Walker family said...

that's a good one, teresa!! my husband is actually been doing that with our car insurance! didn't even think about that one, thanks!!

and about bread we have been making our own...not all our bread but some of it...again my husband broke down the cost and it's like 10 Cents a loaf if you make it yourself!!!

Unknown said...

Are you still looking at Grocery Game? There is a referral section and if you haven't joined yet, would you wait until I refer you?