Why is it I hear this word a couple of dozen times a day? Why is it after every instruction or question I have for my three year old? And why does it make my nerves boil and create a rush of frustration that makes me want to scream?
The Six "Be's"- Gordon B. Hinckley
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
I think we should just ban that word from toddler's mouths! Tye has already started saying it to me, and I have to agree...it really gets under my skin! They can be so sweet, and then they are possessed little demons!
I can't stand that either. I think Payson and Jennaveve were the ones who wore out the word in our family.
So with Skyla and Meisha Bart and I decided to try a little creativity. It took some practice for ourselves but we said things like, "UH-OH!", "STOP." or "OUCH!" (if it was something that could potentially hurt them), or just scared them to death going "AHHH-HA!" (then after we have their attention by startling them we can explain what they need to be doing to be making good choices). Another thing I've noticed is kids sure love to SAY "no" and "don't" but they sure don't HEAR those words. Example.....shortly after we moved to Ft. Worth I was at Allison's house and the kids were doing crafts with scissors. Allison told Kinzie, "DON'T cut your hair if I give you these scissors." A few minutes later Kinzie had cut off some of her hair. (Fortunately, she has great hair and looks good no matter what). I've found life is much easier if I tell my kids specifically what I WANT them to do. "Only color on THIS paper." "We eat at the KITCHEN table." "Stay on the driveway or sidewalk." "Walk next to me with at least one hand on the cart." Anyway, you get the idea. It's nice because it eliminates "no" and "don't" from everyone's vocabulary. Love all you wonderful moms more than you know! You are my heroes!
That is such an annoying word when you hear it from your toddler constantly! I remember when Natalie and Lily both went through that phase. Sadly enough, even though I had to wait longer for Lily to actually be capable of saying it, it still got under my skin. Isn't that pathetic? You would think I would have appreciated her new "word", but instead I was totally annoyed by it. Don't you just love it too when you ask them if they want something and they say "No!" and then when you don't give it to them they get mad at you?!? I guess that's life with toddlers, though. I'm here to let you know that they will eventually quit saying it for no apparent reason.
...the 2 comments deleted were just 2 more of Andrea's...for some reason it posted 3 times!
Andrea, thanks for the advice I am going to try to implement it into our lives and see what difference it makes.
Amy, you are right sometimes toddlers will say it for no reason. For example tonight I said lets go take a bath, Avery... of course the reply was "no" and in a very I am the boss way. Which is also why I think it gets under my skin so easily. But I just ignored it and said lets go get a bath again. I walked upstairs to the bath and turned it on. You know what, Avery followed me and we had no problems getting a bath. There was no reason for her "no". That's my epiphany for today.
Luke says it all of the time, I honestly think sometimes he just likes to hear himself talk. He'll say no to something automatically, realized it actually is something that he wants and quickly change his answer to yes. No is a nasty little word.
Post a Comment