The Six "Be's"- Gordon B. Hinckley

Thursday, January 3, 2008

Beautiful Moment




I met with a psychiatrist, and he agreed that I am battling Post Partum depression, and he prescribed me a new anti-depressant. Unfortunately, I am not able to continue nursing. It was an easy decision, but difficult to actually commit to it. I nursed Tye until his 1st birthday, and planned on doing so with Kenadie, but I am not in a frame of mind to be able to continue. To those of you that have breastfed, you know what I am going through. I feel like I have let her down in my warped thinking. I know this is for the best, and I also know that babies do not have to be breastfed, but, I still find it hard to feel at peace with it. Michael captured our last time nursing and I will treasure it forever.

5 comments:

Amy said...

I'm glad that you were able to go to the doctor and get some answers, but I'm sorry that you have to stop breastfeeding Kenadie. I know that is very difficult for you. I remember when Lily couldn't breastfeed and how I felt so bad about letting her down. But, like you said, that's "warped" thinking and in actuality, you aren't letting her down. You're enabling her to have a happy mommy and that will mean much more to her than breastfeeding in the long run. I hope that the new medicine works and that you can feel like yourself again soon. We can't wait to see y'all this weekend!

Katie said...

I couldn't have said it better than Amy already said. You are doing the right thing and you're not letting Kenadie down. I do know how hard it is. I'm almost done nursing Bryleigh and it's hard. I'm so glad you were able to go to the doctor and that they'll be able to help you. I'm hear cheering you on!

S. Gibson said...

Both amy and katie said exactly what I would have. I am so glad that you made such an important decision, and definitely not an easy one. You are a wonderful mother. I hope that your new medicine helps you feel better. I would love to hear about how your feeling on it. You were always such a great listener when I had to stop nursing Luke at 3 months. It's a hard thing to do, but you are doing the absolute right thing, no question. I love what Amy said about it enabling Kenadie to have a happy mommy. That is so true.

Gooches said...

i had to stop nursing my first babe because he wasn't getting enough to eat. it was a super hard commitment. remember it is more important for your kids to have a happy mom who is there for them, then breast milk. they can still get nutrition from formula but a mommy's love is best from mommy!

Alisa said...

Thank you all for your comments...it has made this all a little bit easier. I am glad we are starting to chat again...it is a new year, let's see if we can help each other out to make it a great one!