The Six "Be's"- Gordon B. Hinckley

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

My aunt sent me this and I thought it was cute...

JUST A MOM?

A woman, renewing her driver's license at the County Clerk Office
Was asked by the woman recorder to state her occupation.

She hesitated, uncertain how to classify herself.

"What I mean is" explained the recorder,
"do you have a job or are you just a......?"

"Of course I have a job," snapped the woman.


"I'm a Mom."

"We don't list 'Mom' as an occupation, 'housewife' covers it,"
Said the recorder emphatically.


I forgot all about her story until one day I found myself in the
Same situation, this time at our own Town Hall.

The Clerk was obviously a career woman, poised,
Efficient and possessed of a high sounding title like,
"Official Interrogator" or "Town Registrar."


"What is your occupation?" she probed.

What made me say it?
I do not know.
The words simply popped out.
"I'm a Research Associate in the field of
Child Development and Human Relations."

The clerk paused, ball-point pen frozen in midair and
Looked up as though she had not heard right.


I repeated the title slowly emphasizing the most significant words.
Then I stared with wonder as my pronouncement was written,
In bold, black ink on the official questionnaire.

"Might I ask," said the clerk with new interest,
"just what you do in your field?"

Coolly, without any trace of fluster in my voice,
I heard myself reply,
"I have a continuing program of research,
[what mother doesn't)
In the laboratory and in the field,
(normally I would have said indoors and out).
I'm working for my Masters, (first the Lord and then the whole family)
And already have four credits (all daughters).
Of course, the job is one of the most demanding in the humanities,
(any mother care to disagree?)
And I often work 14 hours a day, (24 is more like it)
But the job is more challenging than most run-of-the-mill careers and the rewards are
More of a satisfaction rather than just money."

There was an increasing note of respect in the clerk's voice as she
Completed the form, stood up and personally ushered me to the door.

As I drove into our driveway, buoyed up by my glamorous new career,
I was greeted by my lab assistants -- ages 13, 7, and 3.
Upstairs I could hear our new experimental model,
(a 6 month old baby) in the child development program,
Testing out a new vocal pattern.
I felt I had scored a beat on bureaucracy!
And I had gone on the official records as someone more distinguished and indispensable to mankind than
"just another Mom." Motherhood!


What a glorious career!
Especially when there's a title on the door.


Does this make grandmothers
"Senior Research associates in the file d of
Child Development and Human Relations"
And great grandmothers
"Executive Senior Research Associates"?
I think so!!!
I also think it makes Aunts "Associate Research Assistants".

5 comments:

Mary said...

I have felt this way before when one of my sisters made a comment of me having more time than she because I stayed home and she worked. I was not angry with her but pondered why this would have been the most of the worlds perception. I also saw many years ago a episode with Dr.Phil with working moms and SAHM's. And her pointed out the "just" in their statements to SAHM's. the little word "just" makes the big impacted. It belittles SAHM's and their roles with the family. And people wonder why mom's are depressed. Hmmmm...could there be a link here?

Alisa said...

I think so...and trust me, I have done both. I have worked with no kids, worked with one, and stayed home with 2, and the hardest of them all??? Staying home. It is a tough, many times thankless job. We just have to keep focused on the end goal, and know that this is the most divine "job" anyone could ever have.

Natalie said...

I loved the story. I agree with it completely! Thanks for checking us out. Glad you are back in town. Last night was great fun. Thanks for hosting.

Alisa said...

Hi...I was just wondering who Natalie is so that we can give you a big welcome! Also, you can email me to post on this site if you would like to. I checked out your blog, and it looks like you have triplets, so I think we could learn a lot from you!

Katie said...

I really liked this. I've read it before and it really stuck w/ me. Often times SAHM's don't say with great joy that they're SAHM's. When in fact that is our great JOY. It's been the hardest thing I've ever done, and I've done a lot of jobs. It's by far the MOST rewarding thing I have ever done, will ever do and am doing. I do laugh at how others think that because you do stay at home, you have all the time in the world. HAHAA is what I say.
A few months back I was at Barton Creek Mall when a very well to do, and high up older lady approached me and made a nice comment about the kids. The way she said it made me think her next response would be based off what I had to say about having the two kids w/ me. I was honest and her response was similar to what I just told her. She agreed with me that this is the best and most rewarding I could ever do. No money nor material objects could replace what I was doing by staying at home w/ my kids. She also said she wished more Mother's would feel this way. She also commented on why we as a society have so many problems, was because no mother's are in the home takeing care of their children when they can be. Motherhood is a sacrafice. I learned from her that she's a very successful Texas women and I know many know who she is, but I didn't. She told me how she put a career on hold to stay at home w/ her son (who's now grown and married) and how they did what the rest of us do.. make do without a lot of things. It was a great visit and I walked away from her feeling so much more blessed and feeling great that someone would take the time to appreciate the rewards of being a SAHM and mother and tell me that.