The Six "Be's"- Gordon B. Hinckley

Monday, March 8, 2010

refusing a bottle

I have a question for any of you that were able to nurse your babies. Joshua is my third and the first one that I've been able to nurse. He and I had a really, really rough go of it for the first couple of months, but he's doing great nursing now. He's about 4.5 months old. Well, I would have loved to have had this problem when he was a newborn, but not so much now. He is absolutely refusing a bottle! He used to switch back and forth with no problem (in fact, he preferred the bottle for a while). But now he won't take one at all. Not from me, my husband or any one else! It's getting quite frustrating. I can't be away from him for more than a couple of hours and I would love for my husband to be able to occasionally help with the night-time feedings. Did any of you experience this and if so, were you able to find a way to get the baby to take a bottle? My husband tried letting him cry it out once, but after missing two feedings, he still wouldn't give in to the bottle. I would love any advice that any of you could pass along to me.

7 comments:

Mary said...

Amy, are you giving him formula or expressed breast milk? If your using formula try switching. Pumping can be such a pain but he'll probably accept it easier. And make sure the milk is warmed well.
He'll probably never like the bottle as much as nursing. Both my kids were like that.
Good Luck!

Amy said...

It's expressed milk and warm and he's still being stubborn. LOL Thanks, though. At least I know I'm not alone in dealing with this.

Emmy said...

I did a little research online and no one has really any great advice. Im sure you have looked as well. Here is what I found...1)try different nipples/bottles and 2) its okay if he misses some meals (1,2 or even 3). I couldn't listen to baby cry because of being hungry. So I guess just keep trying and maybe having you not around would help. Good luck! Sorry this is not much help.

Alisa said...

Amy--We talked about this the other day, and I said what Emmy read. Let him go a couple of feedings. The problem with that is that you would prob lose your sanity in the meantime! Try dif bottles like Mary said. Maybe there are some dif nipples out there he would prefer. (Is it weird that I giggled when I wrote that?) lol Maybe next week Mom and I can work on it for you! You can leave for a day and we will listen to the screaming! Good luck and can't wait to see y'all next week!

Amy said...

Yeah, I think I do need to try some different nipples. And Alisa, now you have me giggling while I type that! LOL I'm not sure that you and Mom would want to listen to him scream. ;) He has quite a set of lungs! Thanks for the input everyone!

Amy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shelby Bingham said...

Two of my five kids never would take a bottle. We tried breastmilk (warm and cool), several brands of formula, watered-down juices, and water with several types of nipples and sippy cups. We finally went from nursing to one type of sippy cup -- the kind that is not leak-proof (they both refused all the others). We had to hold a cloth diaper under the chin for every drink, but eventually each baby was able to drink on their own without too much spilling. :) I hope you can find something that works!