The Six "Be's"- Gordon B. Hinckley

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Why and HOW do kids get into EVERYTHING??

It seems like my kids find every bottle of lotion, tube of toothpaste, bottle of shampoo, hair detangler, hand soap and candy...no matter where it is. We are in a rent house, and at this point, we are done thinking we are getting our deposit back ($1350). That is depressing. There are sharpie and crayon marks on the walls and floors, stains on the carpet, and holes in Tye's room from throwing stuff during his tantrums. The really frustrating thing, is after I clean up after them all day long, Michael gets frustrated because he is convinced I leave the stuff lying around. I can assure I don't. Yes, there are times that has happened, but most of the time, I am completely baffled when they come up with some of this stuff. When we are looking at houses, the main thing I am looking for are cabinets and closets! It really makes me upset. I just went in and Kenadie had red toothpaste all in her room, and when I tried to scold her, she looked at me and laughed. What do I do????

4 comments:

natalie said...

I don't know if they'll let you, but what about getting those locks for cabinets and doors made specifically to keep kids out? We had to do that because I was spending an hour every day picking up everything Bryn pulled out.
I also had to put all pens and permanent markers VERY HIGH up so that she couldn't reach them even with a chair.
Sometimes they are being naughty but sometimes they are just learning about their world by exploring it and getting their hands into everything. How else would Kenadie know what toothpaste feels like in her hands? :)

Alisa said...

:)
Yeah, this house is short on cabinets, and none of them have knobs. So, we would have to do some drilling to lock them...and I am not sure they would go for that! Every time I think all the sharpies are out of reach, they find one. I should even put my purse 8 feet high, but then I can't reach it. They pull chairs or whatever they can, and just start climbing! I can't leave the room for a second! I think I am going to start packing for the move (in 6 months) and just keep out what we need to live!

Walker family said...

sorry alisa, sounds like that because of being in a rental there's not much you can do in ways of easy child proofing. i was thinking and i think i am going to start with reward charts for Avery and Ady. For different reasons than yours but maybe you can just work with your kids and teach them that not matter how fun :) it's naughty to squeeze toothpaste out or pour shampoo out of the bottles. you can make a list of things that they get reward stars for and things they get them taken away for doing. i think i am going to start the reward giving more frequent till they get the idea then more to more long term rewards they save up for. just an idea for now till you can drill all your cabinets shut!! :)

Katie said...

I know that's hard Alisa. Bryleigh is the same way and no matter how high up something is hidden she finds away to climb up and get it. LIke we were talking about last week when you stopped by, the reward chats for the kids have done wonders, but the getting into things is still a constant battle that not even the reward chart is making better.

I can't even leave Bryleigh alone in a room by herself or she's into something or climbing something. I have however started putting somethings in a hallway closet and I got one of those child proof door handles, since she's not figured out how to pop those off.

I wish I had some better advice. I would sure like to know how to end the every day battle of getting into everything. lol

Reward chats will help with other things those. I switch off on doing the bead jars and reward chats. If you do those, have a prize box on hand. that's great motivation for the kids.