The Six "Be's"- Gordon B. Hinckley

Thursday, May 14, 2009

sleeping position for newborns

My son, Landon, is 8 weeks old. He used to only take naps if I was holding him. Then when I started giving him tummy time I noticed that he falls asleep within minutes and will stay asleep for a few hours. I keep him in the living room so I am able to keep a close watch on him. If I turn him over to his back he will not fall asleep. I put him on his back this morning and he cried for an hour and a half. I decided to turn him over to his stomach and he fell asleep after a minute. I know babies are never supposed to sleep on their stomachs, but what if that is the only way I can get him to sleep by himself.

5 comments:

Alisa said...

Definitely make sure you are close to him. I would also mention this to the dr, because maybe it is something else. Aunt Rose said that Leslie cried and cried and would stop when she was picked up, and they finally found out a couple of months later, she had an ear infection! Once that cleared up, she was fine. He is also getting a little older, so sleeping on his stomach is not as bad, but until he can hold his head up and roll over, I would keep that to a minimum.

Jillaine said...

both of my kids slept on their stomachs the entire time. like Alisa said, just keep an eye on them and it should be fine.

Amy said...

I agree with Alisa and Jillaine-- Just keep an eye on him when he's sleeping on his stomach and he should be fine. As soon as he learns to roll over by himself, you will be unable to keep him on his back anyway. It's funny how all the "rules" keep changing. When we were babies, our moms were told to never put us to sleep on our back because we could spit up and then choke on it. When Natalie was born, it was always put a baby to sleep on their back. With Lily, I remember that we were told that sleeping on their back or side was best. They even had those weird triangle shaped foam pads to put the baby in to keep them rolled over on their side. I know the "experts" mean well, but sometimes they cause undue guilt and distress for mothers and babies.

natalie said...

Both of my kids started sleeping through the night (8-12 uninterrupted hours) at around 4 months. I realized it was because that's when they started rolling over both ways and so I let them sleep on their stomachs if they rolled over to it.
I probably should have let them from the beginning but I was too paranoid.

Katie said...

Each year doctor's seem to change between sleeping on their stomachs vs sleeping on their backs. I was told for Bryce to have him sleep on his back and Bryleigh to have her sleep on her stomach. I finally just did what I, as a mother felt was best for my babies, even if the doctor claimed their way was right.

When we had Bryce, he was in his crib, next to our bed as we had a small one bedroom at the time. When I had Bryleigh she was in a bassinet next to our bed, but it also had wheels so I was able to wheel her around the house so I could keep an eye on her.

I agree w/ what Amy said-"I know the "experts" mean well, but sometimes they cause undue guilt and distress for mothers and babies".

You'll learn that doctors change what they say each year and you as a mother are gifted to know what is best for you baby. I also know it's hard to tell if something is wrong or not. Just go by your gut feeling on things too. Brycers had acid reflex and spit up a lot, so he was hardly ever on his back.