I hate to be a scrooge but this has been bugging me and I don't know if this is how it is suppose to be or not. I kind of feel like I am the only parent who finds it to be ridiculous and honestly am ANNOYED.
Here's the thing. I signed up to be a room mom for Avery's preschool class to discover that we were going to be party planners. For some reason I guess I thought we'd be helping in other ways. So, we planned a fall party the week of Halloween...took cute picture on the play ground, moved to the class room and had four stations with a snack, game, and two crafts. The other room mom's did most of the work, not because I wasn't willing but because well...they just did. Since then we had two teachers birthdays and cupcakes for Thanksgiving. (thank goodness the other room moms agreed to not do another party or what they were calling a "feast") Now they are planning a Christmas Party in which they are asking for everyone to give $5 for a gift to the teachers and a wrapped book for a exchange. Oh, and last week I just sent $8 to school for a Christmas keepsake they are making in class.
To the point. I am paying a hefty sum of money to have Avery attend 8 hours of preschool a week. I think all the extra fluff (or parties) are totally unnecessary. Do I keep my mouth shut and go along (be a sheep) with the rest of the class? I also can't decide if I am just being sour and a little annoyed at the other room moms for taking over all the responsibilities. I finally told them, in a nice way, they could be the two room moms and I'd help only if they wanted or needed me to(haven't heard from them since). Are all preschools like this with parties and stuff?
The Six "Be's"- Gordon B. Hinckley
Wednesday, December 10, 2008
preschool and parties?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
My little girl, Gabi, is in her first year of preschool and it's my first time going through this school experience.
At her school, ever child pays a party fee which is $15. This fee covers all the party expenses for the year. They also pay a $15 school supply fee at the beginning of the year. This pays for all a child's school supplies (so everyone's are the same and no one feels like an odd man out) and any "extra" craft supplies they might do in the year.
Now, I have find that there are several hidden expenses that I did not anticipate... but these are all elective costs like fundraisers, book clubs, book fairs, etc. For example, they did an angel tree this year. Kids and parents could elect to pick a needy child for the year and give money for a gift.
I don't blame you for being upset. It sounds as if you are being asked to pay quite a lot for things I believe the school should cover.
For Gabi's thanksgiving, they had a "feast" catered by chic fil a and raos bakery. This was no cost to us - it was included in the initial party fee. Her Christmas party this year costs us nothing.
You might wanna say something but I wouldn't expect it to change. If the school's profiting off these "hidden fees" then they might not be so eager to change.
I agree with Holli. You may say something, but who knows if anything will happen. BUT, you could join Lifetime fitness with me and she can do physical activity classes for 2 hours and you can work out! No ABCs and 123s, but lots of kid interaction and lots of exercise!
Wow! That is alot! For parties at my daughter's preschool, all we bring is a bag of candy! The only difference is at Thanksgiving. I send $2 for a pizza party. One or two parents make cookies for the kids in the class. Maybe suggest something like this. The children are young and they could care less about a "feast." Just the word party is enough to get them excited. And then there is all the candy that they bring home. It sounds like the moms are just trying to outdo themselves! Just remember, it's all about the kids. A day without any structure is a party in their eyes.
By the way, you were alot nicer than I would have been to those two moms!
You have got to be kidding me! Can I be one one of the first 30? Let's not all email back at once! (I'm being sarcastic!)
ok I feel a little better about much feeling irritated. It is not just me....I am still unsure about saying anything though, I just don't know.
Amy that is INSANE, I thought ours was bad. That really tops it. I also think u are right Micha I was too nice and it is the moms more excited and really going over board with the parties. They never would take my suggestions to simplify things. That is probably why I was cut out of the loop.
Thanks, moms
I HATE when people guilt me into paying for stuff.
Maybe you should make friends with one of the more outspoken moms and complain to them and get them to speak up for you.
Post a Comment