The Six "Be's"- Gordon B. Hinckley

Monday, December 3, 2007

Our Innocent Children

Today we went to get some work done on our car and while waiting a few things happened that made me think about how innocent and pure hearted our children are in spite of such a dangerous world.

Well, as you know auto shops are not the cleanest places and Avery was playing with the water fountain which is disgustingly full of germs. I made her sanitize her hands twice. People probably thought I was crazy, but it is flu season.

Then a very nice young mom with her 16 month old son was being very nice to Avery and letting her play with her son's toys (probably because Avery zeroed in on them as soon as she saw them and was acting like they were olds friends.) But then this young mom takes her son for a walk and Avery wants to go too...I said no and explain that she is really nice but we don't know her. Which didn't go over well.

Then a nice man gave Avery a pen and paper to draw and he played with her which helped the crying but I couldn't help but think...who is this guy and I hope he's not a predator getting his gee lees off my little girl. I know I may be a little paranoid at this point, but that is what I seriously thought to myself.

But, then another man gives Avery a package of crackers as we are leaving. She of course wants them but I had to take them away because everyone knows you never take candy(food) from a stranger.

I don't think I am crazy at all, I am just watching out for one of my babies. Right? I think so.

Anyways, back to my point... at the tender age of three, children have no idea what kidnapping, predators, or poisoned food is and how are we suppose to explain something like that to them? I explained why Avery couldn't do the things I had said no to but I am not sure she got the point or will remember next time. SCARY!

8 comments:

Alisa said...

I get more nervous every day about raising kids in this time. It is very scary. I am glad you were able to talk to Avery about it, and remember for next time that other people watch the news, too, and will probably not be at all offended if you politely decline some crackers or for your precious daughter to go for a walk. I am so scared to raise a daughter. I think that Tye can fend for himself (later, of course), but I do not trust anyone with my little girl. I think as our children grow, we need a network of friends like we have to keep each other strong to make it through. You are a great mom, Mary, and I really look up to you. You did great today, and I hope that Avery didn't make too big of a scene for you! :)

Amy said...

I agree. This is such a scary world to raising our children in. I think I tend to be over-protective. But, I know I could never live with myself if something ever happened to my girls because I wasn't careful enough. We live close enough to Natalie's school to let her walk or ride her bike in the mornings. She really wants to, but I won't let her. I know there are lots of other kids her age (she's 11) who walk/ride bike to school everyday, but I'm so scared that she will be kidnapped or hit by a car. I know at some point I'm going to have to let go a little bit, but I'm not ready to yet. Due to Lily's developmental disability, I'm even more afraid that someone will take advantage of her as she gets older. I guess all we can do is try to protect our children as much as we can and then leave the rest of our worry in Heavenly Father's hands. I think you did the right thing with Avery and I know she will love you all the more for it. I just wish our children didn't have to ever find out how scary this world can be.

Walker family said...

Thanks, I am glad I am not the only one terrified for my girls. I never thought I was but it is good hearing it.

Alisa, I feel the same way. If I had a little boy I almost think I wouldn't worry as much, little girls are almost walking around with targets on their backs.(Again a little paranoid)

Amy, I have big admiration for you when it comes to raising Lily. I sometimes think about how I'd be trying to raise up to the challenge of having a child with disabilities and I don't know how I'd do it. You have been doing so marvelously.

Thanks, girls!

S. Gibson said...

So I have little boys and I am just as paranoid. I can't imagine how I would be with a little girl. Danny and I have been talking about when the right time is to talk to Jacob about strangers and abuse and I just can't get myself to do it. I just remember feeling terrified about these things as a child and I don't want my kids to live with that same terror and it seems so much worse now than it used to be. I feel like since my kids are home with me and I am really protective about who I let them be alone with they are as safe as they possibly can be for now. It's when school starts that I'm worried about. I wish that we didn't have to worry so much about trusting people. It makes me sad.

Katie said...

I don't think it matters if it's boys or girls. I have both and I feel the exact same way with both of the kids. Boys are kidnapped and so forth just as much as girls are. This world is definitely scary and one where I don't let my guard down for anyone. Heavenly Father intrusted me with these beautiful children and I'll do everything to protect them, no matter what. It makes me feel better knowing that I'm not the only one who's paranoid about everything. I think we're all amazing Moms!!

Bingham Bunch said...

I agree with all of you!!! I am just as protective of my boys as I am with my girls. It is hard to tread the line of teaching kids to be safe and scaring them to death. Our family follows the rule of having a code word. I tell my kids they don't go with anyone or take anything from anyone unless they ask the code word first. We also just have the understanding that they always check with dad or mom first before they even answer a stranger. If they get a compliment I usually tell my kids, "You can say thank-you." If they don't feel like it, I will say (in front of the stranger) to my child, "I'm so glad that you are being safe and following our rule to not speak to someone we don't know." Too bad if they are offended. We also decided to put down the rule of no sleepovers. It's tough sometimes when we really do know friends well but we always come to get Bayley at midnight--I think it protects kids and adults. I have a friend of a friend whose husband is serving 20 years in prison in Austin because one of her daughter's friends accused her husband of inappropriate behavior during a sleepover. The family denies these accusations and thinks the girl was getting even after being told to settle down and go to sleep. I think that the lack of conscience in society today has to make us more protective. In any case....good for all you moms who want to be aware of keeping our kids safe, healthy, and happy!

Gooches said...

you are not crazy! my friend's third grader had her food poisoned with drugs. like ruffi's. scary. they are not sure what food but think that it is probably the halloween candy! i don't let my kiddies do anything that doesn't make me feel comfortable. it would be a horrible thing to think that you are just being overprotective and have something life altering happen to your children!

Alisa said...

They say hind-sight is 20/20, but we can't afford to not clearly look at "what could happen." I cannot believe that about Andrea's and Holly's friends. This world is just not safe anymore. I've heard before (maybe even on this site) that if your children hate you, then you are doing a good job. As much as I don't ever want to hear those words, I have to choose between that and possibly having something horrible happen because I gave in "that one time." I am not looking forward to having teenagers.