Have any of you ever kept a gratitude journal? I've decided that I really need to. I'm getting so bogged down on all the negatives right now. Hopefully, as I write down even the smallest things that I have to be grateful for, I will become a more positive person. I have always struggled with being a pessimist. I jokingly say that really I'm being a "realist". But, I think it's really affecting my ability to be a good wife and mother. I wouldn't want to be around me right now, so why should my family? I started my journal a couple of weeks ago and did pretty well with it for about 3 days. Then, I got busy with life and forgot about it. I've been having a lot of my own "melt-downs" lately, so I'm going to try the journal again and see if it helps. It's divided up between all the members of my family. That way I can look at each family member on an individual basis and find something positive to say about them. I'll let y'all know how it goes. And if anyone else wants to join in, I'd love to hear your insights about whether it has helped or not.
The Six "Be's"- Gordon B. Hinckley
Monday, April 19, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I think that is a good idea! maybe instead of everyday how about 3 x a week. Maybe have an individual notebook for each child (even if they can't read just yet). Have them decorate it with stickers or whatever, and once a week write/draw something positive about them or what they did in it. Then share as a family for FHE or a family night. Maybe even fathers can write or draw something. I know that sometimes it is hard to get out of what I call "A Funk". I think I may join in on this whole gratitude journal :0)
I like this idea a lot. Awhile back I did a gratitude journal that I kept beside my bed and wrote 5 things that I was grateful for that day and it really did help me keep things in perspective. Especially on the days that I had to think really, really hard about what to write. Unfortunately, life got in the way and I slowly stopped doing it.
It's kind of funny, my mother in law was here a few days ago and we were talking about ways that might help my kids behave better and she told me that while her 5 kids were little she kept a small notebook in her kitchen and every time she saw one of her kids do something positive or nice she wrote it down. At dinner time she would read out loud to everyone what they had done that she had noticed. She said that they really did show a lot of improvement in their behavior because they really wanted their name to show up in the book. I also think it would help me to see more positive things in my kids, rather than feeling like I'm constantly yelling at them.
One more thing that I am just starting is a prayer journal. Now, I've tried this before and it phased out, but I think I really need it right now so I'm going to try it again. I am basically writing things down as I go through my day that I feel I need extra help with. Like...laziness, boredom, feeling genuinely happy, yelling, patience, kindness...the list could go on for days lets be honest. But I'm going to try and be really specific with each thing as I see a need and see if I notice a change in me. For example today in my journal I wrote, "help me that I won't go straight to my computer when I am feeling bored, but that I will find something else to do with my time so my kids know that I love them" and also, "Help me enjoy my alone time with Luke" and "help me find something to laugh about with my kids". I feel like my morning and night prayers are getting to be mostly generic like, 'help me be a better mom'. What does that mean really though? I just forget about the specific needs or things that I am struggling with when I am actually saying my prayers. I'm hoping that by writing them down and then reading my journal right before I say my prayer (or during even) will help me get more specific help in the day. I'll let you know how that one goes :).
Good luck, keep your chin up :), sometimes I wonder if I'm the only one in a funk and so reading things like this really helps me out. Thanks for sharing.
Wow! You both have some great ideas! I'm going to try sharing the positives with my kids AND keep a prayer journal. I've been asking them each day during supper what their favorite thing was from the day, but I never thought about sharing my favorite parts of the day. I'm sure they would much rather hear good things about themselves instead of feeling like I'm always nagging them about something. And lately I feel like I've been doing that waaay too much. I really feel like my prayers have become kinda generic too. I'm in that "help me be a better mom" rut too. Maybe even looking at the prayer journal before I read my scriptures will help make that more beneficial as well. I do really well praying and reading my scriptures for awhile and then I tend to slack off. I'm glad to to know that I'm not the only one who's in a funk! LOL That's what I love about this site: we can share with each other, support each other and realize that we're not the only ones feeling inadequate as moms and/or wives sometimes. Well, to be honest, I feel inadequate most of the time.
Y'all all inspire me and keep me going. :) We don't give ourselves enough credit. These are perilous times, but we have some of the most cherished spirits we are raising. I try every day to remember that. Well, between the yelling I can't seem to stop doing. You all make me want to be a better mom. I am glad we have this support system, too.
A prayer journal and gratitude journal are great ideas. Thanks for sharing. I really should jump on the bandwagon with y'all. ;-)
Post a Comment