The Six "Be's"- Gordon B. Hinckley

Saturday, August 15, 2009

Sign Language


With Kenadie being over 2 and still not talking, I have decided to really start with sign language. We started it a long time ago, but never stuck with it. I found a really neat site that has video clips on how to sign different words!! Just thought I would share.




5 comments:

Jillaine said...

We have a deaf sister in our ward and she started teaching sign classes and i love it! I HAVE LEARNED so much and i'm actually helping interpret sacrament meeting!! aslpro.com is a great website also if you wanna check that one out also. i've been teaching Ethan and Spencer and they pick it up fast! good luck!!

Alisa said...

Thanks, Jillain! Tye is picking it up super fast, and Kenadie can do it, she is just so darn stubborn!

natalie said...

We used some sign language with Bryn before she started talking and I loved it and I think she did too.
BTW, if she is still not talking very well by the time she is three, there are lots of free programs you can take advantage of through the state/school district. She can start the day she turns 3.

Katie said...

That is awesome Alisa! I did this with Bryce when he stopped talking. At three he was evaluated and they determined that he was fine, as he knew over 100 words in sign language and shortly after that he started talking. When he did so, he was talking in sentences. You'll be amazed at all she'll pick up with sign language.

Amy said...

I bet this will help Kenadie (and you) so much! It certainly helped with Lily when she wasn't talking. She was much less frustrated when she was finally able to get some of her needs understood. Also, Lily's speech path. (the one through ECI) was able to give me some good pointers on how to continue to encourage Lily's speech development with things such as PECS (picture exchange communication system) and sign language, etc. So, if you feel inclined, talk to your ped. about looking into the ECI program in your area. Good luck!