The Six "Be's"- Gordon B. Hinckley

Monday, August 4, 2008

Preparedness

With the tropical storm in the Gulf, and everyone in a panic, it has made me stop and think about how nice it is to be prepared for situations like this. We have been working on our food storage, and I have now added food to my 72-hour kits, which I am sorry to say are not quite all the way complete, yet. So, I want anyone who feels like they have a handle on their perparedness for emergencies, give the rest of us some good tips~

1. I bought a plastic accordion style folder thing (that is a horrible description, I know) but I have all of our important papers in there. In case of a fire, evac, or any other emergency, Michael and I know to go for the folder...after the kids, of course!
-insurance papers, social security cards, birth certificates, immunization records and many more.

2. We drink a lot of juice, so when we finish a container (clear plastic ones, I fill it with either tap water or water out of the frig filter) and label it with date and what type of water.

3. I have gallon jugs of water next to the toilets for emergency flushing!

4. My parents have a generator. While this is not something we are looking into purchasing right now, it would be really nice to have in the case that the electricity is out for a while.

5. I keep the gas tank above half...preferably full. I like to do this all the time, but especially during hurricane season. This is nice just in case we cannot get to any, we know we have at least half a tank.

6. If you need a good checklist for a 72 hour kit, I have one, feel free to email me!

2 comments:

Mary said...

I just bought one of those plastic folders too for our important papers. They had a few in the dollar spot at Target.

I will just add that you have to be careful which kind of plastic containers you put water in for storage. They need to be water storage approved. I know milk jugs are NOT.

Also for 72 hour kits some of the things I thought were good ideas were adding a few books for your kids or set of cards. In case you have to evacuate and possiby end up in a shelter with nothing to do.
Also adding a small amount of cash and don't forget ladies those femine products.

Bryan said...

HI, it's Katie....(I'm on Bryan's side of the computer so it will show up as him)

To add to what you guys have both said:

Great food to add to 72 hr kids are MREs. They're very compact and come w/ water in the kits we have, so we're carting around heavy bags. Another great 72 hr kit/food storage is the ARK. It comes fully loaded w/ food for is easy to throw into the car when you have to go somewhere.

I also have the thin little scrap books that have pictures of the kids and our family in case something does happen. WE all have one in our bags. In those I also have pictures of everyone in our family and beside their pictures their address and info. That also includes family out of state and friends who are our point of contact.

I'm in the process of making a dvd of our home and things in our home to add to our documents (for insurance purposes as I've found out that having actual proof of things you owned works out better for you incase something should happen to your home)